When Should I Move Them?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jadeninja9

When Should I Move Them?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 pm

My colony's water portion is getting slightly green. There's half a mealworm next to the cotton that is completely molded over. The workers have chewed off strands of molded cotton and put it in the AC portal for me to clean up. They can't do anything about the water though. Also, whenever I observe them the workers are always chewing at the cotton that I used to plug up the holes in the portal. I think it's just natural behavior though. So, should I provide them with another test tube setup?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

idahoantgirl

Re: When Should I Move Them?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
My colony's water portion is getting slightly green. There's half a mealworm next to the cotton that is completely molded over. The workers have chewed off strands of molded cotton and put it in the AC portal for me to clean up. They can't do anything about the water though. Also, whenever I observe them the workers are always chewing at the cotton that I used to plug up the holes in the portal. I think it's just natural behavior though. So, should I provide them with another test tube setup?
you can always provide them a new one, and if they feel they need to move they can :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Cartil

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am

Since you have the AC portal, I would just connect another test tube set up to it and let them decide whether or not they want to move! It might take up to a few days though.

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 am

Cartil wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am
Since you have the AC portal, I would just connect another test tube set up to it and let them decide whether or not they want to move! It might take up to a few days though.
Alright.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:29 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Jadeninja9 wrote:
you can always provide them a new one, and if they feel they need to move they can :)
Should I only heat their new tube? Plus it's kinda hard to heat both sides without the heat cable going places I don't want it.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Wow, my colony is so funny Lol. Instead of using it to move out, they took of pieces of molded cotton and is using it as a place to store the molded cotton lol. This just made the cleanup process a lot harder lol.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Cartil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Wow, my colony is so funny Lol. Instead of using it to move out, they took of pieces of molded cotton and is using it as a place to store the molded cotton lol. This just made the cleanup process a lot harder lol.
Funny!

Well, to be fair, your goal of cleaning their test tube is partially achieved now! haha I wouldn't force them to move though, it could stress them and hurt their growth. I would just empty the new tube of the molded cotton and put it back so they have access to clean water.

Jadeninja9

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Cartil wrote:
Jadeninja9 wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Funny!

Well, to be fair, your goal of cleaning their test tube is partially achieved now! haha I wouldn't force them to move though, it could stress them and hurt their growth. I would just empty the new tube of the molded cotton and put it back so they have access to clean water.
Yeah
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 am

Cartil wrote:
Jadeninja9 wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Funny!

Wow now they just ruined their clean water by putting mold from the other test tube on the cotton of the new one. They also moved their pupae right at the entrance to the foraging area. Now I have to remove the test tube and empty the mold and hope they move into it.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Cartil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:57 am

I feel like they will do what is best for themselves. All you can do is offering them a clean habitat. I wouldn't force them to do anything though, they know what they need better than we do.