NEW Camponotus colony diet

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Darren737

NEW Camponotus colony diet

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 am

Hi,
I'm currently in need of help since its my first time having a colony. the queen have already had 4-7 workers and I'm wondering when should i start feeding them insects. I have only been feeding them honey for the past time. Any insight would be very helpful

Here's a picture if anyone wants to see ;)

AntsSA

Re: NEW Camponotus colony diet

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 am

Feed them a cricket let it a small insect just be sure to break it into small pieces.
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

Darren737

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 am

How small like compare to the size of the worker? should it be half the body size of the worker?

Serafine

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:26 am

It doesn't really matter, just cut them open so the workers can reach the insides easily. If it's too much they will just leave the rest where it is.

Geffbro

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

I too have a new camponotus colony, 4 workers. They seem to 100% accept and hoard any fruit flies i give them. I've dropped 10+ into the test tube portal their tube is connected to today and they pick up each one and bring it back to the water cotton and store it where all the eggs and whatnot are.

I have not tested anything else, but definitely fruit flies, so go ahead and leave a banana peel in a garbage can to attract infinite food!

edit: though i've heard you might not want to use wild insects because of pesticides or whatever, but i don't live near farmland so i think i will be just fine

idahoantgirl

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

It's much easier to place the whole test tube in an outworld. Take a piece of drinking straw (1 inch or so) and wedge it between the side of the test tube and the exit cotton. Place the food in the outworld. Camponotus gets stressed super easily, so it would be much healthier for your colony to do this.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile