Test tube problem.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

jasont200

Test tube problem.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 am

So I found some tubes at the local craft store. The problem I'm having is the opening is smaller the the rest of the tube. So the cotton is not having a tight fit so water gets by. And the last thing I want is to find my future queen to die over a little water. So does anyone have any ideas to help me fix this problem as I need it really soon.

ACaseoftheMondays

Re: Test tube problem.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:34 am

Indeed, those test tubes with the screw caps do not work very well for our purposes. I had one of those tubes, and it ended up getting flooded. Luckily, I rescued the queen the next morning, as she had perched herself on the highest point on the cotton in attempt to remain dry.

If you want to use a test tube set up, I would recommend staying away from those kinds. I also got my tubes from a craft store, although the one I went to has both the screw-top type and the traditional type, with a small cork. You might try going back and looking to see if they have the other kind (unless you already are sure they don't). Otherwise, you can order some online.

Alternatively, you can just put your queen in any small container, with a damp cotton ball or two. This works very well, you just have to remember to moisten the cotton every once in a while. I have found a TON of tetramorium this year, and have run out of test tubes to hold them all, so I have about 6 in random containers with cotton, and they are doing just fine!
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

jasont200

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks for the idea. So how small are we talking like a cream cheese container?

ACaseoftheMondays

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:28 am

Yeah, that should work. The one's I'm using are a little smaller (about 2"d) that I found at the dollar store for like 10 for $1, but I've seen people using mason jars and such. You can even experiment with using dry sand or moist digging materials if you want. I currently have way too many Tetramorium queens, so I'm trying some different combinations, but the queens mostly seem to prefer staying on the cotton anyway.
Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Saeyoung

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:21 pm

I just went to a florists shop and bought some water picks, they're working well so far! For the bigger species like Camponotus I got some salt and pepper shakers from the dollar store with plastic lids to stop them from chewing through the cotton and escaping again (It was actually a big problem with my Camponotus Queens this year).

jasont200

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for more ideas. We will put the 1 Queen I have in a small container with some damp cotton ball.

jasont200

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:59 pm

So my mom brought me the queen today and once we got her into my building she went nuts and seemed to clean her self for about 3 min. We but a bit of water on the cotton but it still looks very dry. The container has small holes in the lid for air is this a good idea?

idahoantgirl

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 am

Saeyoung wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:21 pm
I just went to a florists shop and bought some water picks, they're working well so far! For the bigger species like Camponotus I got some salt and pepper shakers from the dollar store with plastic lids to stop them from chewing through the cotton and escaping again (It was actually a big problem with my Camponotus Queens this year).
This is actually the bulk of my test tubes. The ones I get fit almost perfectly into my hybrid!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile