First queens! +ID?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

SteamingBullet

First queens! +ID?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 pm

After obsessing over AntsCanada videos since October, spring has finally hit Minnesota and I decided to try queen hunting! I caught two queens successfully and would appreciate if someone here could help identify and maybe explain their species a bit for me.

the first one (Named Queenie by my SO) I spent an hour looking for in the morning!... to find nothing, then find one at 7pm at work taking out garbages (never leave home without a test tube!) She currently is stressed, I messed up her test tube and had to switch them for her the day after I caught her, but she seems fine aside from cotton pulling and being frantic when I last saw her, I hope she'll improve within the next few weeks.

the other one (Dubbed Penelope by a friend) I found doing a walk much later in the day. She seems to have a broken/twisted leg by the way it twitches and how she keeps tending to it, aside from that no real injuries. She refuses to leave the test tube I caught her in and move to one with water and cotton, even after an hour of trying to help her do so (gentle rocking of the tube, exposing to bright light, etc.) So I ended up taping it to her tube, poking holes in, and put her away too. I couldn't get clear pictures of her, but she does have a few stripes on her gastor.

Sorry for using imgur for pics buy Mobile and stuff
https://imgur.com/gallery/qtUTa

Martialis

Re: First queens! +ID?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Measurements?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Appears To Be, A Camponotus Sp. [Queen] Of Sorts.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

SteamingBullet

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 pm

I didn't think to measure them when I had the chance, but they're probably around 2-3 cm? Maybe?

And the pictures are of two different queens, are they both camponatus? The second one I assumed but I thought the first one would be Tetramorium.

Aquaexploder

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 am

The second one to me looks like Camponotus nearcticus to me.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 am

If they are both large, it would have to be Camponotus pennsylvanicus and C. novaeboracensis.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Aquaexploder

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:08 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
If they are both large, it would have to be Camponotus pennsylvanicus and C. novaeboracensis.
Really? Because my Camponotus nearcticus queen looks very similar.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

SteamingBullet

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:46 pm

From what I'm seeing they are both definately Camponotus, but still a tad unsure about what specifically. The first one shows no signs of stripes on the gastor and is completely black, while a second one does show stripes with a bit of a red tint. Nearcticus seems more like the first one, and novaeboracensis the second

Also a small update, the second one escaped today, probably chewed through the tapes keeping the tubes together. Found her crawling along my floor, was lucky I was there to find and recatch her. She's in a proper test tube setup now and they should both be fine for now.

I've been appreciating the help so far!

Aquaexploder

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Aquaexploder wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:08 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Really? Because my Camponotus nearcticus queen looks very similar.
Never mind, I did some research and figured it the difference on my own. Thanks though for all the other times where you helped newcomers like me. I think that I can speak on the behalf of all of us newcomers that we really appreciate your help.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 pm

SteamingBullet wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:46 pm
From what I'm seeing they are both definately Camponotus, but still a tad unsure about what specifically. The first one shows no signs of stripes on the gastor and is completely black, while a second one does show stripes with a bit of a red tint. Nearcticus seems more like the first one, and novaeboracensis the second

Also a small update, the second one escaped today, probably chewed through the tapes keeping the tubes together. Found her crawling along my floor, was lucky I was there to find and recatch her. She's in a proper test tube setup now and they should both be fine for now.

I've been appreciating the help so far!
Camponotus nearcticus is from a subgenus of smaller Camponotus called Myrmentoma. These would be no longer than 10mm. Camponotus pennsylvanicus is the only completely black, large species this far east.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.