Redneck ants? (Louisiana/Texas)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntzNaTube

Redneck ants? (Louisiana/Texas)

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am

Just curious if anyone else is from the Louisiana/Texas region. I know our environment is considerably different from the others on this forum (hot/extremely humid), and am curious if anyone else has seen any nuptial flights happening. It has been a little over a month since I caught my camponotus queens and haven't seen ANYTHING since. Also, I would really like to catch an atta, and would like to see if anyone knows of any particularly hot spots to look for them.

Batspiderfish

Re: Redneck ants? (Louisiana/Texas)

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am

It looks like all the Atta texana have been found west of Alexandria. They are NOT an easy species to keep.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntzNaTube

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am
It looks like all the Atta texana have been found west of Alexandria. They are NOT an easy species to keep.
So I've heard. However, I'll never know if I don't try, right? I'm sure I could do it with some practice. The main hurdles involve the fungus correct? I have grown different fungi before for other hobbies, so I would suspect I am capable. The ants caring for it should alleviate some of the strain actually.

Antlover

Tue May 02, 2017 7:16 pm

I have found two solopensis invactiva or red imported fire ants queens in Louisiana if you want a Rifa Colony

AntzNaTube

Fri May 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks, antlover, but I currently have 7 rifa queens laying eggs. Lol

martinnate

Sat May 06, 2017 5:00 pm

I am currently out of state, Michigan to be exact, but will be back in Tx Monday afternoon and I cant wait to get back and see how my colonies are doing and I hope to be picking up an Atta queen from a guy in the Austin area who posted he had a few extra queens. Monday morning can't get here soon enough.