Can you feed liquid protein

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Can you feed liquid protein

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Fulkol wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 pm
It's not too difficult to meet the nutritional needs of ants. Just regular insects is fine as a protein source. Wingless vinegar flies (Drosophila melanogaster) are a great and easy food source to rear. AntsCanada suggested that vinegar flies are not very nutritious, but I have found no evidence to support this. As an ant keeper of six years, they get my stamp of approval.
Do you have your own colony of them? What do you feed them if so? Heard that their nutrition level depends on their diet. Plan to start a colony this summer tho when they appear naturally, my pet shop doesn't have them and don't feel like ordering them. Planning to keep them on cardboard + banana and other fruits
You can certainly raise the winged ones if you want -- but trust me, you are doing a huge favor for yourself by going with the wingless ones. I give them the typical mashed potato recipe, with kombucha broth (organic cider vinegar also works), brown sugar, and paprika. Sometimes I add something antioxidant rich. Basically, you are just turning potato protein into insect protein.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Fulkol

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:13 pm

:arrow:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 pm
Fulkol wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 pm
It's not too difficult to meet the nutritional needs of ants. Just regular insects is fine as a protein source. Wingless vinegar flies (Drosophila melanogaster) are a great and easy food source to rear. AntsCanada suggested that vinegar flies are not very nutritious, but I have found no evidence to support this. As an ant keeper of six years, they get my stamp of approval.
Do you have your own colony of them? What do you feed them if so? Heard that their nutrition level depends on their diet. Plan to start a colony this summer tho when they appear naturally, my pet shop doesn't have them and don't feel like ordering them. Planning to keep them on cardboard + banana and other fruits
You can certainly raise the winged ones if you want -- but trust me, you are doing a huge favor for yourself by going with the wingless ones. I give them the typical mashed potato recipe, with kombucha broth (organic cider vinegar also works), brown sugar, and paprika. Sometimes I add something antioxidant rich. Basically, you are just turning potato protein into insect protein.
I see
But as I said my pet stores doesn't have the winged ones, do you suggest buying one of the cheapest colony off ebay and then farming your own ones? Is a colony sustainable so not dying out during the year? I don't really feel like spending 20 buck every one a while for new colonies

Batspiderfish

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Fulkol wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:13 pm
I see
But as I said my pet stores doesn't have the winged ones, do you suggest buying one of the cheapest colony off ebay and then farming your own ones? Is a colony sustainable so not dying out during the year? I don't really feel like spending 20 buck every one a while for new colonies
I've never bought them online, although this gives you the option to purchase them in varying lifestages (I assume that larvae ship better than the adults do). I use homemade food, so I have to start a new culture every couple of weeks. If you get some of the commercial food that has preservatives in it, the culture will likely last much longer before you need to move them to another clean setup. You end up with a lot of flies, depending on how large their container is. If you have chickens or other pets that might like them, this isn't necessarily a problem.

Mealworms, crickets, or tropical roaches are also options.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.