Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

MichaelJones

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:41 pm

That would be a good idea, but who will create it? And if one is created, someone should leave a link on this thread.

Barfdog

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:42 am

Hey gang, sorry i've been a busy one lately and not checking the forum. So what do we got? 6 more weeks of Winter boys and girls. But Ants should be flying all over Arizona this March, maybe not so much in the northern regions like flagstaff. I think the first rainstorm in March should be really really good you guys. I finally saw some colonies stirring in my backyard this afternoon. Possibly some iridomyrmex or Phidole running around. Exciting times are coming you guys!
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Martialis

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:35 am

Barfdog wrote:Hey gang, sorry i've been a busy one lately and not checking the forum. So what do we got? 6 more weeks of Winter boys and girls. But Ants should be flying all over Arizona this March, maybe not so much in the northern regions like flagstaff. I think the first rainstorm in March should be really really good you guys. I finally saw some colonies stirring in my backyard this afternoon. Possibly some iridomyrmex or Pheidole running around. Exciting times are coming you guys!
I'm not convinced that there's Iridomyrmex in Arizona.
Keeper of

Selliing:

MichaelJones

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:38 am

Martialis, not to say your wrong, but what makes you think that? And Barfdog, try to take some pictures of them and maybe he could determine if it is or not.

Martialis

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 am

MichaelJones wrote:Martialis, not to say your wrong, but what makes you think that? And Barfdog, try to take some pictures of them and maybe he could determine if it is or not.
Because there's no record of the Australian and South Asian genus Iridomyrmex any where in the Americas.

Here's a link to a good website that shows their distribution:http://www.antmaps.org/?mode=diversity&genus=Iridomyrmex.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:59 am

I'm posting a link to Barfdog's "Arizona Ant Fans" topic. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2624&p=16657&hilit=Arizona#p16657
Keeper of

Selliing:

MichaelJones

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:02 am

Thank you for the two links, from here on out I'll be replying via the new forum

Barfdog

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Martialis wrote:
Barfdog wrote:Hey gang, sorry i've been a busy one lately and not checking the forum. So what do we got? 6 more weeks of Winter boys and girls. But Ants should be flying all over Arizona this March, maybe not so much in the northern regions like flagstaff. I think the first rainstorm in March should be really really good you guys. I finally saw some colonies stirring in my backyard this afternoon. Possibly some Pheidole running around. Exciting times are coming you guys!
I'm not convinced that there's Iridomyrmex in Arizona.

Yeah I'm totally wrong. Just checked antmaps and nope. Their is a grip of species on their, I'd love to get to a point where I can easily identify my native species.
Keeper of:

Barfdog

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Martialis wrote:I'm posting a link to Barfdog's "Arizona Ant Fans" topic. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2624&p=16657&hilit=Arizona#p16657

Thank you! I was indeed lazy.
Keeper of:

Mowteam

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:27 am

Hi. I am just starting ant keeping and want an easy species. Which species would you recommend that also has nuptial flights in March.