Queen attempting flight

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KingKyle26

Queen attempting flight

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:55 pm

So the myrmica queen I caught yesterday was in a test tube setup. I cleaned out a foraging container about half an hour ago and setup up just a little bit of food in there. I checked on her and thankfully there was a lid on the foraging area because she was trying to fly out. I know she mailed because there was a male on her mating when I caught her. Why is she doing this and is this normal?

Aaronantl

Re: Queen attempting flight

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:17 am

You should put her in a test tube setup for she needs to have in a 'founding chamber. You would also need to find out the exact species of that ant queen to see if it is claustral (stays in the chamber with no food till she gets workers) or semi claustral (she needs to eat in her founding stage) so you can give her what she needs. If she is claustral just keep her in a test tube set up but if she is semi claustral watch this video from AntsCanada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqGTBVpThpc

Martialis

Re: Queen attempting flight

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:01 am

Aaronantl wrote:You should put her in a test tube setup for she needs to have in a 'founding chamber. You would also need to find out the exact species of that ant queen to see if it is claustral (stays in the chamber with no food till she gets workers) or semi claustral (she needs to eat in her founding stage) so you can give her what she needs. If she is claustral just keep her in a test tube set up but if she is semi claustral watch this video from AntsCanada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqGTBVpThpc
Myrmica are semi-claustral. He's got the right setup.
Keeper of

Selliing: