JoeHostile

Queen ant Toronto, Canada

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Pictures are not great, sorry.
It's red coloured.

Canadiananter

Re: Queen ant Toronto, Canada

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Lasius claviger.this is parasitic if you don't want to keep it, I suggest giving it to me? ;)

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:48 pm

If you do want to keep it, this'll help http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252- ... parasites/

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:27 pm

Images of the gaster and petiole in profile would separate this from the possibility of Lasius latipes, which have fine pilosity on the gaster and a blunt petiolar crest.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JoeHostile

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Oh gee not sure what to do. I need to find more information. I'm not interested in sacrificing a colony... weird thing is about an hour ago I saw a lasius neoniger queen walking around. I didn't take her because I already have a neoniger colony. But either way I guess I would have had to sacrifice my existing lasius colony because this parasitic ant needs an already established colony? I'm wondering what if I just take some workers, some broad in various stages and make a queenless colony to trick this parasitic queen?

I'll try to take some better pictures. But this queen is particularly uncooperative plus with her wings on she is driving me nuts lol.

JoeHostile

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Did you read my little guide, in CanadianAnter's link, above? You don't need to sacrifice a colony -- you just need to give her access to young (or preferably callow) workers with some brood. The host queen does not need any part in it.

The wings always make it tricky to see the petiole and gaster, but Lasius latipes and Lasius claviger are going to have the same requirements, whatever those might be. :lol:

We are still learning how to keep these ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:21 pm

If you don't want it, give it to me ;) ;)
But in all seriousness I advise you to keep it for now.they start the process in spring and you have months to think

JoeHostile

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Ok thanks guys. Sorry Canadiananter, but if I don't have to sacrifice a colony I'm definitely going to give it a go. And batspiderfish I did read it but I didn't scroll down past your "Subgenus Acanthomyops" description, so I missed all the most important stuff lol. But now great how perfect you wrote everything I need right there!

MLavers

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:31 pm

@Canadiananter - I have 8 Claviger queens at present, and no time. You want a couple?