Bit by an alate?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

dinoman9877

Bit by an alate?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:08 am

Earlier today, I got into my car to head to my classes when I noticed I had a winged hitchhiker. Now the thing was small, and flying around quickly, and I didn't get a good chance to look at it because, well, watch the road, not the bug.

It looked an awful lot like an ant though, and I think it was a male, could have sworn I saw a thin abdomen. He was trying to use me as a landing pad so I shook and swatted. A few minutes later, I felt an itch below my wrist and, lo and behold, I had a bug bite.

So do even the alates bite if they feel threatened?

Jacco2010

Re: Bit by an alate?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:08 am

dinoman9877 wrote:Earlier today, I got into my car to head to my classes when I noticed I had a winged hitchhiker. Now the thing was small, and flying around quickly, and I didn't get a good chance to look at it because, well, watch the road, not the bug.

It looked an awful lot like an ant though, and I think it was a male, could have sworn I saw a thin abdomen. He was trying to use me as a landing pad so I shook and swatted. A few minutes later, I felt an itch below my wrist and, lo and behold, I had a bug bite.

Your days are numbered...

(This is a joke, obviously. I don't actually know)

Batspiderfish

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:38 am

You're thinking about a sting, in the case of an ant/wasp, and a bite in the case of a fly. Male ants can do neither.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:15 am

Batspiderfish wrote:You're thinking about a sting, in the case of an ant/wasp, and a bite in the case of a fly. Male ants can do neither.
Most of the time. My crematogaster queen bit me.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am

Yeah, ants can bite, but unless it is a leaf-cutter/Camponotus major or Polyergus, a bite is barely going to be noticeable. A sting is what would leave a mark like that.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Yeah, ants can bite, but unless it is a leaf-cutter/Camponotus major or Polyergus, a bite is barely going to be noticeable. A sting is what would leave a mark like that.
To me, I barely notice Camponotus bites. They tickle. :lol:
Keeper of

Selliing:

dinoman9877

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:24 pm

I think I'd know if I've been stung. I mean it was like a mosquito bite, just an itchiness that made itself known after a bit. But there was no mosquitos, just this little thing that looked awfully like an ant.

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:49 pm

dinoman9877 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:08 am
Earlier today, I got into my car to head to my classes when I noticed I had a winged hitchhiker. Now the thing was small, and flying around quickly, and I didn't get a good chance to look at it because, well, watch the road, not the bug.

My Camponotus queen bit me and.... Owwwwww
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Martialis wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:23 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:Yeah, ants can bite, but unless it is a leaf-cutter/Camponotus major or Polyergus, a bite is barely going to be noticeable. A sting is what would leave a mark like that.
To me, I barely notice Camponotus bites. They tickle. :lol:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus bites hurt, and the other Camponotus species around my house just tickles.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am
Yeah, ants can bite, but unless it is a leaf-cutter/Camponotus major or Polyergus, a bite is barely going to be noticeable.
When i went to coasta rica 3 years ago i accidentally stepped on a leaf cutter trail. A median bit me and when i looked down i had a nice sizable cut on my toe
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum