Do you know about what ants are in Victoria, BC, CAN?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Dubulba

Do you know about what ants are in Victoria, BC, CAN?

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:51 am

Hello I'm planning on getting into ant keeping but it's getting cold and the ant colony that's probably in front of my house hasn't been walking around lately so I think the ants around my area are hibernating (please tell me if you believe I'm wrong) so before it becomes time for ants to start flying I want to know what ants are in my area. so if any of you BC ant lovers want to share your knowledge that would be wonderful :)
⊂_ヽ
  \\ _
   \( •_•) 2
    < ⌒ヽ F
   /   へ\ A
   /  / \\ B
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ 4
  / / Y
  / /| O
 ( (ヽ U
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
(_//

Batspiderfish

Re: Do you know about what ants are in Victoria, BC, CAN?

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:22 am

http://www.antmaps.org/?

I know that somebody from Washington has been finding Formica and Lasius. Warm days after rain are normally a good time to look, but at this time of year, the ants aren't as picky -- so long as it is not windy.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

notmyidea

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:49 am

I find mainly Lasius alienus and Formica podzolica here. Between the last week of July and the first two weeks of August, there are literally thousands of Lasius alienus queens around. Formica fly then too. There's Carpenter ants and Pavement ants as well but I am too nervous about keeping Carpenter ants indoors and haven't had luck finding a Queen pavement ant. There's a few other species but the ones I find the most are the aforementioned Lasius and Formica.

Dubulba

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:52 pm

notmyidea wrote:I find mainly Lasius alienus and Formica podzolica here. Between the last week of July and the first two weeks of August, there are literally thousands of Lasius alienus queens around. Formica fly then too. There's Carpenter ants and Pavement ants as well but I am too nervous about keeping Carpenter ants indoors and haven't had luck finding a Queen pavement ant. There's a few other species but the ones I find the most are the aforementioned Lasius and Formica.
I kinda want to do carpenter ants
⊂_ヽ
  \\ _
   \( •_•) 2
    < ⌒ヽ F
   /   へ\ A
   /  / \\ B
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ 4
  / / Y
  / /| O
 ( (ヽ U
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
(_//

Martialis

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:26 am

Dubulba wrote:
notmyidea wrote:I find mainly Lasius alienus and Formica podzolica here. Between the last week of July and the first two weeks of August, there are literally thousands of Lasius alienus queens around. Formica fly then too. There's Carpenter ants and Pavement ants as well but I am too nervous about keeping Carpenter ants indoors and haven't had luck finding a Queen pavement ant. There's a few other species but the ones I find the most are the aforementioned Lasius and Formica.
I kinda want to do carpenter ants
Try waiting till next year. Carpenter ants will start flying then.
Keeper of

Selliing: