Componotus queen stopped laying eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kansablankie

Componotus queen stopped laying eggs

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:17 am

HI

I have had my componotus queen for 2 years now. First year she laid eggs, had up to 15 workers. I put her in hybernation for the winter. All is good.

I took her out in April. Unfortunately only 3 workers made it through hybernation. 2 of them died later while searching for food (got stuck). 1 left. She was laying eggs. Then the eggs went brown and the worker carried them out of the nest. For the past 4 months now she has not been laying eggs.

She lives in a tube with a yukky piece of dried cotton and I have a new clean tube right next to it but she does not want to move. I feed them every 2nd day some protein and sugary foods. I give meat products like beef, egg, rice, bread, fruit, maple syrup, sugar water.

Why is she not laying eggs? Will she start again?

Thanks for the advise.

idahoantgirl

Re: Componotus queen stopped laying eggs

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 am

Im not sure how to help you, but I can say that if your ants got stuck in honey or something like that, they are probably still alive, but just unable to move. ants can pretty much not drown (they can live underwater for two weeks) . I had several tetramorium workers get stuck in honey overnight and i was able to pull the out will a toothpick, rinse them under warm water and set them back down in the outworld and they were perfectly fine! They showed absolutely no life signs inside of the honey and didn't show any signs of life until i completely rinsed them off. then they started to groom themselves and then trotted off.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ALLJOD

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:10 pm

I have had some problem man, (I feel you)
My queen had 3 workers and a bit of brood, then I moved them into a natural setup but it got too dry and my brood died,
After that I decided to move them into a wood setup but the workers escaped and never came back,
Then I put her into a testube in a closet and didn't look, but still 2 months after the workers loss no egg has been laid. Then 3months off the queen being alone I had a C. aethiops queen that I catched but she died, then I gave the eggs to her, she groomed and cleaned the eggs, but one day she just.. Ate em,
A few days after that she laid 9 eggs again,( I also fed honey to her) so if u have any other Camponotus queens.. Maybe give them an egg or two..
Lasius -niger -flavus -emarginatus, Messor sp., Myrmica sp, Camponotus herculeanus -aethiops, Pheidole spathifera -pallidula, Brachymyrmex sp., Pheidologeton diversus,

MCWren

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:41 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:Im not sure how to help you, but I can say that if your ants got stuck in honey or something like that, they are probably still alive, but just unable to move. ants can pretty much not drown (they can live underwater for two weeks) . I had several tetramorium workers get stuck in honey overnight and i was able to pull the out will a toothpick, rinse them under warm water and set them back down in the outworld and they were perfectly fine! They showed absolutely no life signs inside of the honey and didn't show any signs of life until i completely rinsed them off. then they started to groom themselves and then trotted off.
I doubt they're still alive if they got stuck in honey months ago, then thrown out soon after.

Kansablankie

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Thank you all for the feedback so far. The workers died months ago.

My question is really about why the queen stopped laying eggs and when she might start again.

I don't have any other queens.