Can Vaseline kill nanitics?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Varanid

Can Vaseline kill nanitics?

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:04 pm

I have lost two nanitics thus far. The first nanitic looked like it could not walk, kept flipping onto it's back and freaking out. It died shortly after, the second nanitic I found dead in the outworld. Today a nanitic was out foraging, I decided to watch it for a bit, she started climbing the walls. When she made it to the vaseline barrier, she slipped and fell. Then she tried it again, the same thing, slipped and fell when she reached the vaseline. After that I noticed she was having problems climbing. Then shortly after she was having problems walking, similar symptoms to the first nanitic. I have read in many places that vaseline is a safe barrier, am beginning to think that the vaseline is killing my nanitics. Has anyone ever experienced any problems like this with Vaseline?

EdgarFromLatvia

Re: Can Vaseline kill nanitics?

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Varanid wrote:I have lost two nanitics thus far. The first nanitic looked like it could not walk, kept flipping onto it's back and freaking out. It died shortly after, the second nanitic I found dead in the outworld. Today a nanitic was out foraging, I decided to watch it for a bit, she started climbing the walls. When she made it to the vaseline barrier, she slipped and fell. Then she tried it again, the same thing, slipped and fell when she reached the vaseline. After that I noticed she was having problems climbing. Then shortly after she was having problems walking, similar symptoms to the first nanitic. I have read in many places that vaseline is a safe barrier, am beginning to think that the vaseline is killing my nanitics. Has anyone ever experienced any problems like this with Vaseline?
I have not done any trying to keep out ants for now (i am a beginner), but i suggest to examine their behaviour a little bit more and to remove the vaseline, if it seems harming your ants. The best would be to buy a small bottle of the thing (insect-a-slip i think...) if you have only some nests (not too much ants to keep out). ;)

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:18 pm

What species?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Nevermind, I found out on your other post. I don't think the vaseline is doing your ants in, as this is a fairly common method for escape-proofing an outworld.

I'm sorry the colony is not doing well. What are some other possibilities for this behavior? Do they have access to fresh sugary food and insect protein? Do they have access to a hydrated nest sight and clean water? It could always just be the ants, sadly. :cry:
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:17 pm

The ants have a test tube with fresh distilled water. They always have access to fresh honey. They always have access to a fresh piece of crushed meal worm. They have been eating both. They are in a test tube in a small plastic critter keeper for an outworld. The test tube they are living in still has water, the cotton is fairly clean. They have a fresh test tube setup to move into if they want to.

I never would have suspected the vaseline, since it is a common way to contain ants. Could find no info on vaseline harming ants on google. Mikey even recommended vaseline on at least one of the AntsCanada videos. But this ant was acting normal until it slipped off of the vaseline, then instantly started having trouble climbing and walking.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:29 pm

it may have gotten coated in the vaseline, which would theoretically suffocate the ant, but i don't know why this wouldn't happen more often. You could always go the talcum powder/rubbing alcohol route. Just mix em together and paint a band around the edge of the outworld. Clean up any excess with a cotton ball or towel.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:50 pm

The nanitic is now dead, so that makes three out of five that have died. Looks like I will be closing them up in the test tube again. Problem is I have not found a good way to feed them in the test rube. I tried putting a piece of foil in with honey and meal worm on it, the queen ran over and aimed her gaster at it. I assumed she was spraying formic acid on it, it freaked her out regardless. I do not just want to put a drop of honey in the test tube for fear it will spread and become a death trap.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Camponotus don't like being fed in the tube, in my experience. Try a differen't escape proofing method and/or a different outworld container.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:28 pm

The outworld has been cleaned, I will try the packing tape/alcohol talcum powder mixture. The ants are back in their test tube for the time being, can I disinfect the outworld with bleach? I just do not want any more dead nanitics.