Dead nanitics Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Varanid

Dead nanitics Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:36 pm

This is my first real attempt at ant keeping. I caught a queen C. Pennsylvanicus in June. She has produced 4 nanitics. A week or two back I noticed a nanitic acting funny. The nanitic was lie in on its back and basically pitching a fit. I flipped it right side up and it did it again. A couple of hours later the nanitic was dead. I have no clue what caused this death. So the queen produced another nanitic and all seemed to be going well, until today. I checked on the ants and there was anot her dead nanitic.

My setup is as follows, a test tube setup. I have it opened and in a small out world. I have another test tube in the out world with a cotton plug for when the first runs out of water. There is an inch wide band of vaseline around rhe top of the outworld, the nanitics generally avoid it.

I feed them in a plastic water bottle cap, a drop of honey and a crushed meal worm. They eat a little every couple of days. My question is, what is the normal life span for nanitics, and what could have caused these two nanitics to die?

Batspiderfish

Re: Dead nanitics Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm

What kind of outworld is it?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRule

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Camponotus are like this. This is a common problem. I have a few are having the same problem with some that even die mid-hatch. :cry: It does not seem to be in any way your fault. Keep doing what your doing and give them privacy. I wish you the best of luck
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Varanid

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:20 pm

The outworld is a plastic critter keeper. It was washed well before use, and it is very small. They have been foraging with no problem.

Varanid

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:22 pm

There are still a ton of pupae, the other nanitics look fine. Just concerned since two have died.

AntsRule

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Durant wrote:Huh... That's odd... My C.penn are doing absolutely fine with 4 nanitics with a ton more coming :|
Yeah most of mine are doing great, but a few, not so much.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:18 pm

My solenopsis Invicta do the same thing I guess it's just a natural part of ant life.

Varanid

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 pm

So nanitics do not live long? Getting nervous because I do not want more to die than what are produced.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:45 am

So, I may have figured out what happened ro my nanitics. I saw a nanitic foraging today, she climbed the wall. She tried to climb over the vaseline barrier and fell off. She tried again, and of course slipped. After slipping the second time I noticed she was having problems climbing at all. Then when she was walking it looked like she was having trouble walking, she ended up on her back a few times freaking out. She is still alive, but these symptoms are very much like the symptoms the first nanitic showed before she died. I have seen vaseline suggested many times as a barrier, has anyone ever had problems with it harming their ants?

EdgarFromLatvia

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:31 am

Varanid wrote:So, I may have figured out what happened ro my nanitics. I saw a nanitic foraging today, she climbed the wall. She tried to climb over the vaseline barrier and fell off. She tried again, and of course slipped. After slipping the second time I noticed she was having problems climbing at all. Then when she was walking it looked like she was having trouble walking, she ended up on her back a few times freaking out. She is still alive, but these symptoms are very much like the symptoms the first nanitic showed before she died. I have seen vaseline suggested many times as a barrier, has anyone ever had problems with it harming their ants?
I saw someone have the same problem too, so stop putting vaseline up! Try a different barrier.