Saving a Doomed Colony

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

Saving a Doomed Colony

Sat May 07, 2016 9:21 pm

My mother has lots of ant colonies along her driveway and she is going to hire an exterminator to kill them, they are pretty well developed colonies and I was wanting to know if I could save them. I was thinking about trying to dig them up and get the queen but I don't know how to care for an already developed colony. Any advice would help me greatly but some of the main questions I need answered are, will the queen die or not lay eggs if she gets stressed out? Do I need to give the developed queens lots of workers? Lastly If there are multiple queens in one nest do I keep them together?
Thanks -Perry

Solenopsisace

Re: Saving a Doomed Colony

Sun May 08, 2016 5:17 am

I think you are real main concern is eating your Wheaties LOL that is a lot of digging. Mature colonies go very deep and Branch off very wide some species of ants even move their queens and brood to satellite nest so you don't even know where to start digging you will have your whole yard dug up before you know it

perryismyname

Sun May 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:I think you are real main concern is eating your Wheaties LOL that is a lot of digging. Mature colonies go very deep and Branch off very wide some species of ants even move their queens and brood to satellite nest so you don't even know where to start digging you will have your whole yard dug up before you know it
Oh great..... LOL maybe I will just try to dig up a smaller one XD thank you for letting me know.
Thanks -Perry

Solenopsisace

Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm

No problem :D .i only know from experience is y lol.ive dug a shovels length deep,and wide (5×5)ft.looking for solenopsis Invicta it just kept branching off and getting deeper.good thing i had to bury my fire pit or i would
Of did all that for nothing lol