Queen Ants

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants4life

Queen Ants

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 pm

How long does it take for queen ants to break their wings off? Today I was walking around and was able to capture 3 winged ants. this is my first time looking for queens so I do not know a lot but one of the ants kind of looks like a drone but the other two looked like queens so I'm hopeful that they are. I caught all 3 of them but It has been and hour and they still have not broken off their wings should I give them more time or does this mean they're not fertile?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Queen Ants

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Usually you will find them with wings already off. If not, like in your case, it is hard to say. Occasionally they will leave them on for months or even longer. As for fertility, just have to wait and see.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Ants4life

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:43 pm

ooper01 wrote:Usually you will find them with wings already off. If not, like in your case, it is hard to say. Occasionally they will leave them on for months or even longer. As for fertility, just have to wait and see.
Ok thank you! Also I do not have them in test tubes but one of them crawled into a really tight space in the Container is this a good thing?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Should be fine. You just have to be sure to provide moisture somehow. Perhaps a moist cotton ball or something like a bottle cap with water in it.

The test tube has just proven to be an effective tool to keep queens because it provides water and a somewhat tight place for the queen to live. It duplicates a small underground chamber.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator