Force Fertilizing a Queen?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

KdenKden

Force Fertilizing a Queen?

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:31 pm

So I have multiple queens with wings in separate test tubes, but since I don't know if they're fertilized or not. I just captured a bunch of male alates and put them in the same test tubes with them. Is this a viable way to "force" fertilize a queen. I did this a while back but only having one large container (about the size of those medicine pill bottles.) I kept about 20 queens in there and added about 15 male alates. I noticed some of the queens became fertile and started laying eggs and I did see some dead male alates. I'm not sure if this works or not but can someone tell me if this is a viable method to ensure a colony? Note: all pheidole
Currently housing Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex patagonicus.

Batspiderfish

Re: Force Fertilizing a Queen?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 am

Even queens that have not mated are normally fertile, but eggs would only develop into workers if she had mated at some point since her flight.

It's honestly easier to look for a dealate than mess with time-consuming and risky procedures.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antnest8

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 am
Even queens that have not mated are normally fertile, but eggs would only develop into workers if she had mated at some point since her flight.
i think what he is trying to say is that fertility is not the same thing as mated queens.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

KdenKden

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:38 pm

update! out of the 15 test tubes with male elates, 2 of them were successful and started laying eggs. the rest of the male elates probably died of natural causes .

AntsDakota

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:13 pm

When I catch Lasius queens every year out of the air and put them all in a temporary container while getting test tubes ready, I put males inside with them and I saw a queen with no wings mate with a male. My theory is that queens will not mate unless it is in those few short hours of nuptial flight, and in those few short hours they will mate no matter what the circumstances.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

KdenKden

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:57 pm

UPDATE #2 so I checked the my queens and apparently 10 of them actually started laying eggs. SHOCKER! so I still think this is a viable method to insuring a fertile queen or just lucky I guess. Will most likely release some queens because I can't care for all 10

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Again, unfertilized queens shed their wings and lay eggs too, they just can't produce workers. We also don't know how many of these mated before you caught them.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.