Moderator: ooper01

Diamondking

Re: general talk about our colonies

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Ltislander wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 pm
Diamondking wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:08 pm
Just caught two crematogaster queens today!!! Super exited to get their colonies going!!
If you could make a journal of them that would be awesome! I’d love to see how a Crematogaster colony grows!

Nvm, I know what it is now. Of course I’ll do it! I’ll tell you what it’s called via private message!
Keeping:
x1 Lasius Neoniger
x2 Crematogastor

Jsctheantkeeper

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm

just a few days ago my pavement ants (terrarium immagranus) swarmed their first meal it was a fruit fly i feed them 2-4 flies a day

AntsDakota

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 am

I have a small Camponotus nearcticus colony, a Ponera pennsylvanica queen,a large Solenopsis molesta colony, and a Lasius claviger queen.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Attatexana

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:38 am

“Also two Atta Mexicana queens (for those I would like advice)”
The temperature and humidity need to be within a range leave the founding queen in the dark and for nutrients and food feed them leaves and in think they like rose petals, but they must have their fungus because exepct plant sap the workers drink for a boost all collected will be given to the fungus, which is the queens’ and brood’s only food sorce so very important.

Attatexana

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:40 am

Sorry, I quoted Blitzants.

Jgibbss

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 pm

My pheidole colony has Growing numbers im assuming 2-3 thousand! but the majors have big heads but are near the same size as the workers know anything about this?? Camponotus She has a decent ammount of eggs Few larvae lot of pupae and a few eggs she looks like a healthy queen. Solenopsis invicta Queen has laid eggs SO MANY expecting workers soon i see at least 12 pupae excited!!!

Jsctheantkeeper

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Jgibbss wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 pm
My pheidole colony has Growing numbers im assuming 2-3 thousand! but the majors have big heads but are near the same size as the workers know anything about this?? Camponotus She has a decent ammount of eggs Few larvae lot of pupae and a few eggs she looks like a healthy queen. Solenopsis invicta Queen has laid eggs SO MANY expecting workers soon i see at least 12 pupae excited!!!
For you pheidole try feeding them more meat and protein if that doesn't work then they should grow out if it

Jgibbss

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks!

Jsctheantkeeper

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 pm

No problem

Glowbug1236

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Howdy people,
First post out of intro.
I've got a small pheidole colony. Started with a 3"x1" stick found at the park, with the queen inside and a dozen workers i guess.
Waited until it seemed they were all inside (checked several times of day and night).
Brought that to a mason jar at home and added store bought soil and moss from outside. (Making sure to cut the moss off with some of the wood it was on).
They have flourished! Had only a few majors before and now about 100 tiny red workers.
The majors are huge compared to them.
They only eat flies, and refuse almost anything else.
I have a question about aphids...
Do i need a specific kind of aphid? I put those yellow ones in there on the little plant, but turns out they are the toxic kind! Got them out quick.
What kind will these little red pheidole in South Carolina's need?
Where can i get them?
Also, i had invader ants, not sure which type (they were black/ with gray butts), eat through the paper towel at the top and killed a few dozen before i discovered what was happening while i slept.
Now i use the fibrous layer of a large bandage (the layer that touches your skin) stretched across and screwed down with the metal cap if the canning jar. Works well, no invaders get through.
Thanks for the info! Im very excited to fulfill a lifelong dream of having an ant farm.
Have grown quite attached to my tiny little world, calms my nerves to watch them.
:)