general talk about our colonies

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Glowbug1236

Re: general talk about our colonies

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am

These posts seem more like a running diary/ logbook at this point, though maybe everyone is on vacation..
Im really loving my Pheidole Dentigula, such a great species!
So recently i stopped catching flies and purchased a few containers of flightless gnats, so as to create a sustainable source of food.
Also they didn't seem overly interested in flies, though they prefer flies over everything else...
But now.. wow!!! They are hunting these gnats down with a passion! Even the majors are going out on hunting trips across the moss fields, running around like maniacs.
Im so surprised how fast the majors can run when they want to, though sometimes falling over due to the size of their heads.
No more having to kill the food, they have been passing up dead flies for moving targets, actively hunting!
Very excited.
:)

gorgyBEN

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Rhetorik wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 pm
My camponotus novaeboracensis colony is coming along well, I caught the queen July 2017. They're up too about 30 worker and a couple majors, one of which has a white patch on her thorax. They started in a test tube which I connected to an out world, I've since switched them to a new tube with the help of a hearing pad. I placed them in a glass terrarium to help with escapes, problem im running into now is there crawling up the glass and falling once they touch the Vaseline over and over till they die : /. Only the smaller workers have been escaping, I'm hoping to have it sorted out soon.

Amazing ants too keep, they don't mind me at all and light doesn't seem to bother them. They're growing more bold as there numbers increase. With the death of 2 other camponotus novaeboracensis queens during hibernation I got the chance to brood boost aswell. Definitely worth the wait.
Good news is however this year I caught my dream species which is Tetramorium Caespitum she has laid a few eggs and seems to be doing fine

gorgyBEN

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 pm

gorgyBEN wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:11 pm
Rhetorik wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 pm
My camponotus novaeboracensis colony is coming along well, I caught the queen July 2017. They're up too about 30 worker and a couple majors, one of which has a white patch on her thorax. They started in a test tube which I connected to an out world, I've since switched them to a new tube with the help of a hearing pad. I placed them in a glass terrarium to help with escapes, problem im running into now is there crawling up the glass and falling once they touch the Vaseline over and over till they die : /. Only the smaller workers have been escaping, I'm hoping to have it sorted out soon.

Amazing ants too keep, they don't mind me at all and light doesn't seem to bother them. They're growing more bold as there numbers increase. With the death of 2 other camponotus novaeboracensis queens during hibernation I got the chance to brood boost aswell. Definitely worth the wait.
Good news is however this year I caught my dream species which https://autoclicker.pro/ Tetramorium Caespitum she has laid a few eggs and seems to be doing fine

Brendin

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 am

I dont know how to make my own question. But has anyone seen winter ants flying

CanaanBoss

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello,
I am a new ants keeper, and can't find any queens.
I would love some tips when and where to look
Thanks.

Formicarufa

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:25 am

Watch wild colonies, and if you see any alates walking around the nest entrance that’s the time to look for the queens
After rain in the summer is good
Some ant species have huge flights but some are very discreet

Good luck this summer

AntsCanada’s video on nuptial flight schedules is very useful

Antmanboy

Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm

So I don't technically have a colony yet but my queen ant laid eggs so I'm hoping they become workers her gaster is also quite inflated so I think more will be on the way!

Antmanboy

Mon May 25, 2020 7:55 am

Also what should I name her she's quite tiny a dark red and a inflated gaster.

RaptorAnts

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm

So, I accidentally caught a queen ant. So, I have an ant colony in my room. How do I tell my mom? We 100% already know we are getting an ant next month. She is a wild queen that already started a colony before I caught her. I have no idea how old she is. I think there are more than one queens that I caught. Do I put the dirt and everything back, keeping it a secret from mom, or do I tell her I found a queen(s). If we do keep her. How do I move then in AC homes? Do I cut a hole in the container and connect a tube, or do I gently dump the dirt in a big formicarium, and connect a nesting area to it also? (Edit) This is my very first ant. It lives with termites by the pine tree.
Owner of 2 huge Camponotus queens.

Antmanboy

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:40 pm

tell her you have queens that could be a problem later on when you have a colony plus keeping a secret from your mom is wrong no offense