Help, I found a mature ant queen today

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

zdobby85

Help, I found a mature ant queen today

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:35 pm

TLDR:
Found a big fat lazy queen, is this normal that she moves like jabba the hut?
She is in a glass jar with a few other ants, some winged, some workers.
I have a pickle jar full of the rest of the colony.
What do i do please help!

I was hired to put a railing on a set of stairs, i pulled back the grass and noticed a bunch of ants.
I thought there was a big grub in the dirt. I always try to find queens and this nest i unearthed was swarming with winged ants. I ran to my car to grab a jar and carefully scooped up a large pickle jar worth of ants and dirt. The GRUB was still there.... BUT IT WAS A QUEEN!!!!! so i scooped her up with a few workers and put her in her own jar. Now what do i do? I have a pickle jar with a few hundred ants in it, and a separate jar with a fat lazy queen.

I've tried to find a queen my entire life. I haven't thought about ant farming in 10 years, i am 30.

Rovvov99

Re: Help, I found a mature ant queen today

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:54 am

What you have is probably a mated queen that has come down in her birth nest after the nuptial flight, it's highly unlikely that you caught the colonies original queen because she is usually Deep underground and never close to the surface. What you should do is put the wingless queen in a testtube setup and release the other workers and winged queens.

Ants4fun

Re: Help, I found a mature ant queen today

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Well, if the workers are getting around fine with her, than keep them. They will be of good use.