Camponotus pennsylvanicus

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Camponotus

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:41 am

I recently got a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen and put her in a test tube setup. Due to housing problems, I have to keep her indoors in the air conditioning, so i put a heating cable around her test tube (when i put the cable on the test tube she didn't like it).She had eggs within two days of keeping her in the setup and still has eggs now. At the moment she is in a dark closet. Does anyone have any idea when the eggs will hatch for this species? Also, any housing suggestions for indoors?

WillWithAnts

Re: Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:25 pm

I currently have a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen with two workers. I have a journal you could pick some stuff up on, the link is in my signature. I had a heating pad that I put in the cupboard with the queen, but not too close. It took about 45 days for the workers to eclose. I made my own plaster nest setup that you can see with this link:http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=259. I can help you with anything you need for that C. Penn. queen!

nebraskants

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:22 pm

I currently have 3 queens of this species. One of them is in an omninest vertical large with 10 workers. The other is in a regular omni nest with 11 workers. I have had excellent luck with these queens. Very easy for me so far. I just did the test tube set ups with them and put them in a closet. within days they had eggs laid. With this species you have to be very patient. Sometimes it can take up to two months in the test tube before you can move them into a formicarium. Don't get impatient and try feeding them or anything. The queen has all that she needs stored on her back. Just be patient and take your time with them. I am still a beginner but I have had great luck so far.

Camponotus

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:24 am

WillWithAnts wrote:I currently have a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen with two workers. I have a journal you could pick some stuff up on, the link is in my signature. I had a heating pad that I put in the cupboard with the queen, but not too close. It took about 45 days for the workers to eclose. I made my own plaster nest setup that you can see with this link:http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=259. I can help you with anything you need for that C. Penn. queen!
Thank you so much!!

Camponotus

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:25 am

nebraskants wrote:I currently have 3 queens of this species. One of them is in an omninest vertical large with 10 workers. The other is in a regular omni nest with 11 workers. I have had excellent luck with these queens. Very easy for me so far. I just did the test tube set ups with them and put them in a closet. within days they had eggs laid. With this species you have to be very patient. Sometimes it can take up to two months in the test tube before you can move them into a formicarium. Don't get impatient and try feeding them or anything. The queen has all that she needs stored on her back. Just be patient and take your time with them. I am still a beginner but I have had great luck so far.

Thanks! How many workers did you have when you moved them into the omninest?

WillWithAnts

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:19 pm

I cant's speak for him but about 15-20 is best. The more the merrier!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 pm

I have tried moving ants into Hybrids or Omnis or other formicaria at 4 - 6 workers with poor success rates. The main motivation for me was to make feeding them easier than in a test tube setup. Just an FYI that waiting may pay off in the long run for the health of the colony.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator