Pleasant surprise on work trip

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

FaithUnkown

Pleasant surprise on work trip

Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:36 pm

I just figured I'd share my joy. For work purposes I'm visiting Florida and the absolute first thing I see when I get out of the rental care to go check in at my hotel is this little lady.

Approximately 1 cm I'd guestimate? she was really shmooving. And I couldn't get anything to size reference. I love her mottled brown/black color! And so shiney! I'm thinking Crematogaster sp. But I'm also very new to this. It just makes me even more excited for catching queens back home this season.

antperson24

Re: Pleasant surprise on work trip

Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:21 am

FaithUnkown wrote:
I just figured I'd share my joy. For work purposes I'm visiting Florida and the absolute first thing I see when I get out of the rental care to go check in at my hotel is this little lady.

Approximately 1 cm I'd guestimate? she was really shmooving. And I couldn't get anything to size reference. I love her mottled brown/black color! And so shiney! I'm thinking Crematogaster sp. But I'm also very new to this. It just makes me even more excited for catching queens back home this season.

The image does not work. Try using google photos or imgur. If you live outside of Florida do not take it home. In the US taking reproductive ants (queens and males) across state borders is illegal. I should be able to verify for you if she is Crematogaster. Florida has a lot of invasive species, so taking one home from there is a really bad idea.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

FaithUnkown

Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:03 am

antperson24 wrote:
FaithUnkown wrote:

The image does not work. Try using google photos or imgur. If you live outside of Florida do not take it home. In the US taking reproductive ants (queens and males) across state borders is illegal. I should be able to verify for you if she is Crematogaster. Florida has a lot of invasive species, so taking one home from there is a really bad idea.
Here's the imgur link I used for the photo, not sure why it didn't work, I'll also try using Google photos under.(edit, GP did not work either, I'll review how I'm trying to embed when I have time, removed)(edit2, removed hyperlink of imgur, switched to GP, as it is being viewed as spam)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/41MykiHmpq8xvv8RA

And yes, I'm definitely not taking any ants home with me. I specifically did not bring any anting equipment with me knowing I would not be catching any of the ants here. I've seen workers from pheiodol Megacephep and Pseudomyrmex gracilis as far as invasive goes, but I also haven't really had time to really look around.

Though I'm curious about how people view invasives like Pseudomyrmex which wasn't necessary introduced but is likely spreading north. Do people still consider those invasive? I know they're dangerous to native sp. Which hits the ecologically harmful checkbox. Again, definitely not supporting taking non-native ants.

antperson24

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:06 pm

FaithUnkown wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
FaithUnkown wrote:

Here's the imgur link I used for the photo, not sure why it didn't work, I'll also try using Google photos under.(edit, GP did not work either, I'll review how I'm trying to embed when I have time, removed)(edit2, removed hyperlink of imgur, switched to GP, as it is being viewed as spam)

And yes, I'm definitely not taking any ants home with me. I specifically did not bring any anting equipment with me knowing I would not be catching any of the ants here. I've seen workers from pheiodol Megacephep and Pseudomyrmex gracilis as far as invasive goes, but I also haven't really had time to really look around.

Though I'm curious about how people view invasives like Pseudomyrmex which wasn't necessary introduced but is likely spreading north. Do people still consider those invasive? I know they're dangerous to native sp. Which hits the ecologically harmful checkbox. Again, definitely not supporting taking non-native ants.
Alright so, as far as the id, just as I suspected she is Solenopsis invicta (red imported fire ant). I'm glad you do not support taking home nonnative ants, because this is about the worst species you could take home! :lol:
I don't know much about Pseudomyrmex in particular, but any species that is harmful to native ants is considered invasive by myrmecologists.

FaithUnkown

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:09 pm

antperson24 wrote:
FaithUnkown wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Alright so, as far as the id, just as I suspected she is Solenopsis invicta (red imported fire ant). I'm glad you do not support taking home nonnative ants, because this is about the worst species you could take home! :lol:
I don't know much about Pseudomyrmex in particular, but any species that is harmful to native ants is considered invasive by myrmecologists.
Oof, really good thing I didn't try to pick her up than. Non-native species seen: 3. Native species: 0. Point made

antperson24

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:11 pm

FaithUnkown wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:09 pm
antperson24 wrote:
FaithUnkown wrote:

Oof, really good thing I didn't try to pick her up than. Non-native species seen: 3. Native species: 0. Point made
Wow, 0 native species so far, that's sad. SolenopsisKeeper lives in Florida, and he hardly keeps any native ants, the vast majority are invasive.