Questions about tetramorium Immigrans.

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

LIExoticBreeders

Questions about tetramorium Immigrans.

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:18 pm

Hey everyone. So about 3 weeks ago i was at a local park doing some queen ant collecting and i found a TON of tetramorium immigrans queens that were looking for a place to nest shortly after a nuptial flight. Nothing but wings and dead male elates around the area. I collected 8 of them, and left the rest. Here's my question. It's getting cold, and i know pavement ants hibernate in the winter. All 8 queens are still doing very well health wise, but none have laid eggs yet. I have 4 other colonies, the oldest being 4 months and already has over 40 workers and at least 100 brood in different stages. Now, if the new queens are waiting till the warmer months to lay eggs, will they be fine through the fall and winter, or will they need food during this time? Or, should i put them in a room that has heat, that way they believe it is warmer and start to lay eggs, and that way by the time the actual winter comes they are established? It's been getting into the late 40's here at night, and the days are less then 60.
26 colonies and counting. Ant love forever.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Questions about tetramorium Immigrans.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:37 pm

LIExoticBreeders wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:18 pm
Hey everyone. So about 3 weeks ago i was at a local park doing some queen ant collecting and i found a TON of tetramorium immigrans queens that were looking for a place to nest shortly after a nuptial flight. Nothing but wings and dead male elates around the area. I collected 8 of them, and left the rest. Here's my question. It's getting cold, and i know pavement ants hibernate in the winter. All 8 queens are still doing very well health wise, but none have laid eggs yet. I have 4 other colonies, the oldest being 4 months and already has over 40 workers and at least 100 brood in different stages. Now, if the new queens are waiting till the warmer months to lay eggs, will they be fine through the fall and winter, or will they need food during this time? Or, should i put them in a room that has heat, that way they believe it is warmer and start to lay eggs, and that way by the time the actual winter comes they are established? It's been getting into the late 40's here at night, and the days are less then 60.
I don't think T. immigrans do official brumation but instead just be less active for a few weeks.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

LIExoticBreeders

Re: Questions about tetramorium Immigrans.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:51 pm

So, just keep them where they are and wait till they start to lay eggs mm
26 colonies and counting. Ant love forever.