She Started Digging

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tanks19

She Started Digging

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 pm

So I have two Pogonomyrmex californicus queens both in their own test tube setup that are connected to outworlds so I can feed them because they are semi-claustral. One of them was in an AC test tube portal and the other one in a homemade outworld with a small layer of potting mix at the bottom I didn't intend for her to dig in it but today she tried just that. So I added more substrate so it would be more natural for her since she tried digging before so I thought she would try again and this time have success now she is digging and I wonder if I did the right thing?
Camponotus Modoc: 3 workers
Camponotus Hyatti: 3 workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: She Started Digging

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 am

Tanks19 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 pm
So I have two Pogonomyrmex californicus queens both in their own test tube setup that are connected to outworlds so I can feed them because they are semi-claustral. One of them was in an AC test tube portal and the other one in a homemade outworld with a small layer of potting mix at the bottom I didn't intend for her to dig in it but today she tried just that. So I added more substrate so it would be more natural for her since she tried digging before so I thought she would try again and this time have success now she is digging and I wonder if I did the right thing?
She may be digging in an area with moist substrate. She may also be getting sand to make her test tube entrance smaller. If you are okay with her digging, and you want her to, you can spray the substarte with water . I do know these ants like sand, is the potting mix course? Generally, ants like course substrate to dig for support. That’s one reason why people use fine sand for outworlds.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Tanks19

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:33 am

I think it's kinda course I'll spray it with some distilled water and see what happens.

Tanks19

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 pm

So she hasn't started digging but she moved her brood into the out world maybe because the humidity was better there? But I saw one of her larvae move and a bit later she picked it up and started walking around with it so I thought maybe she was hungry so I put some seeds in the outworld so she could feed her larvae.