Left this stuff behind in test tube?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

amyneub

Left this stuff behind in test tube?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:35 pm

My campo novaeboracensis moved out of their test tube (overdue, 200+ workers & water was yellow). They left all of this stuff behind. Most is waste & dead ants but some is eggs?? Is there such thing as eggs that have died/gone bad ?
Thanks.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Left this stuff behind in test tube?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:46 pm

amyneub wrote:
My campo novaeboracensis moved out of their test tube (overdue, 200+ workers & water was yellow). They left all of this stuff behind. Most is waste & dead ants but some is eggs?? Is there such thing as eggs that have died/gone bad ?
Thanks.
Eggs that die are for the chop. Larvae that die are black, and sometimes are found too late and can’t be eaten.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Left this stuff behind in test tube?

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 am

amyneub wrote:
Thanks.
Eggs and larvae cannot clean themself. Meaning that if they smell like death, the ants will just throw them onto their garbage pile.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.