Semi-claustral feeding

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tanks19

Re: Semi-claustral feeding

Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Just got the mealworms. I will give them their first protein tomorrow.
Camponotus Modoc: 3 workers
Camponotus Hyatti: 3 workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:46 pm

Tanks19 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 pm
Just got the mealworms. I will give them their first protein tomorrow.
I am sure they will love it! ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Tanks19

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:45 am

I just gave them all a piece of mealworm and they all smell it and are looking for it the second queen bumped into it and got scared off and the third queen almost found it the first queen even locked her mandibles on it! But, I have some bad news the first queen was on her back legs waving so I flipped her over then looked closer and her legs looked broken she is still alive but I think she might die soon :( she can barely walk. So I will probably add another queen to take over her brood if she dies. Has anyone had this happen to one of their queens but she survived and founded a colony?

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:04 pm

Tanks19 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:45 am
I just gave them all a piece of mealworm and they all smell it and are looking for it the second queen bumped into it and got scared off and the third queen almost found it the first queen even locked her mandibles on it! But, I have some bad news the first queen was on her back legs waving so I flipped her over then looked closer and her legs looked broken she is still alive but I think she might die soon :( she can barely walk. So I will probably add another queen to take over her brood if she dies. Has anyone had this happen to one of their queens but she survived and founded a colony?
I had a harmed Odontomachus queen(missing antennae) who almost died who got mature larvae, but they died because I took a trip and couldn’t bring them.

Tanks19

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:08 pm

Oh, I think there might be hope because she is still alive but it is just her legs that are broken. If her species is polygynous then I could add one of the other queens into her setup and maybe the first queen will be the primary egg layer and the other queen will be the forager and secondary egg layer and the more dominant queen. But I will need to do my research.

Tanks19

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 pm

It says that there are some cases of Polygyny and something called pleometrosis that sometimes happen in their species and polygynous colonies put out more workers faster than single queen colonies so this could be very beneficial. But I want to know if it will work but just in case it goes downhill then I have a backup queen. What do you think?

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 pm

Tanks19 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 pm
It says that there are some cases of Polygyny and something called pleometrosis that sometimes happen in their species and polygynous colonies put out more workers faster than single queen colonies so this could be very beneficial. But I want to know if it will work but just in case it goes downhill then I have a backup queen. What do you think?
Wait, stop! No pleometrosis, please! I have seen so many people end up without colonies because of it. It is where two or more queens raise the first brood together, then after workers arrive, it becomes a fight to the death. Usually, one queen is left without a few legs, missing antennae, etc. I do not recommend it. It is more likly that the species is oligynos, which means there can be multiple queens but they will fight on contact with each other. I think you leave the queens apart as the other options have a lot of risk involved(Unless your that kind of guy who likes risk)

Tanks19

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm

Well the first queen can't walk so she can't raise her brood and she will keep falling over she will still live but she can't do anything but sit around so I don't know what to do.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 am

Tanks19 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm
Well the first queen can't walk so she can't raise her brood and she will keep falling over she will still live but she can't do anything but sit around so I don't know what to do.
Ohhh, Nevermind(I go over so many topics I don’t remember a lot), you may try it with her. Just if you introduce a queen, watch to make sure she doesn’t immediately kill her.

But if she dies from workers killing her, it was unavoidable unless you tried somethings that people try, it’s just I don’t want to advertise these methods so if you would like to know pm me.(They are risky and sometimes don’t work, but increase chance of queen introduction)

Tanks19

Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 am

The first queen died, when I woke up she was on her back nothing was moving :( . So I'm going to attach the second queen's test tube to the test tube portal so she can take over the first queen's brood. I also cleaned the test tube portal, do you have any tips on brood boosting never done it before.