Does anyone else also kill "bad ants"

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Antloverhuman

Does anyone else also kill "bad ants"

Wed May 25, 2022 11:14 am

I always wanted to ask this but i felt weird about what internet strangers would think about me. But i still am asking this because there is no way of knowing if you're actually real or not(don't be philosophical around me). I kill most tyranomyrmex destructor and s. geminata workers when i see them so as to help native species spread more. My parents say that im weird because on one hand im raising ants and on the other hand im killing others
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Does anyone else also kill "bad ants"

Wed May 25, 2022 12:49 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
I always wanted to ask this but i felt weird about what internet strangers would think about me. But i still am asking this because there is no way of knowing if you're actually real or not(don't be philosophical around me). I kill most tyranomyrmex destructor and s. geminata workers when i see them so as to help native species spread more. My parents say that im weird because on one hand im raising ants and on the other hand im killing others
Well… I do occasionally “accidentally” find S. Invicta colonies fighting with native colonies, and I sometimes “accidentally” kill the queen by stomping on her or I “accidentally” capture her to add to my 4q Invicta colony. All accidents, trust me :oops:
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

LaniLyne0106

Wed May 25, 2022 1:57 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Honestly my area seems to be thriving with its native species i have yet to find any invasive. I don’t see killing invasive ants as horrid but I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way to stomp them all out of existence. And i don’t think it’s weird if you did, Antscanda even poured boiling water on a invasive ants nest to help out his native ants since they were being overrun.
➪ Ant Colonies
• Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony
• 3 Camponotus Sansabeanus colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• 5 Liometopum apiculatum
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 pm

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:57 pm
Antloverhuman wrote:
Honestly my area seems to be thriving with its native species i have yet to find any invasive. I don’t see killing invasive ants as horrid but I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way to stomp them all out of existence. And i don’t think it’s weird if you did, Antscanda even poured boiling water on a invasive ants nest to help out his native ants since they were being overrun.
Well, I don’t usually kill them, as it’s not their fault they are here. Also, in more rural areas, invasive ants don’t thrive as well. (Except in Florida where all we have is flat plains and a forest every now and then Undisturbed) I only go out of my way to relocate/merge/capture them because I am trying to save the last few colonies of Odontomachus who are currently profiting off invasive ant alates.(And fighting for territory with O. Ruginodis)

SYUTEO

Wed May 25, 2022 6:49 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
I kill Monomorium pharaohnis for killing my other ant colonies and feeders and they seem to be immune to ant poison. It was difficult wiping them out but I think I did it. And also destructive ants aren't Tyrannomyrmex destructor, they are Trichomyrmex destructor.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 25, 2022 7:05 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
I kill Monomorium pharaohnis for killing my other ant colonies and feeders and they seem to be immune to ant poison. It was difficult wiping them out but I think I did it. And also destructive ants aren't Tyrannomyrmex destructor, they are Trichomyrmex destructor.
I have only seen one Pharoah ant worker here… we have invicta, invicta, invicta, invicta, a little bit of pheidole, more invicta, oh wait, is that tetromorium?, more invicta, oh look! I see a native pyramid ant! It just got abolished by that invicta worker…that’s all the non tree living ants we have in Florida, other than some C. Floridanus every now and then and a few Trachymyrmex colonies.

Antloverhuman

Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Well i guess i mixed up the names. They are still invasive tho
Ants I have-

SYUTEO

Thu May 26, 2022 6:34 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Well i guess i mixed up the names. They are still invasive tho
:|
https://antmaps.org/?mode=species&species=Trichomyrmex.destructor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichomyrmex_destructor#:~:text=Its%20native%20range%20is%20unknown.%20It%20has%20been%20hypothesized%20that%20it%20originated%20in%20India%5B1%5D%20and%20perhaps%20other%20Asian%20countries%2C%5B8%5D%20or%20Africa.
I am confused.

Antloverhuman

Thu May 26, 2022 8:21 am

I would go with Wikipedia because i feel like that gets more frequent updates than antmaps or antwiki
Ants I have-

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu May 26, 2022 10:35 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:21 am
I would go with Wikipedia because i feel like that gets more frequent updates than antmaps or antwiki
I am over here: Wikipedia? Heck no, ima go to the 1998 list of all ants in my area, even though that is outdated!