Relocating a wild colony

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

OatstheAntMan

Relocating a wild colony

Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Hi fellow myrmecophiles! There’s a rapid growing colony of carpenter ants in my house. I’ve tested by placing sugar treats near two holes and discovered which is their nest. It’s at bottom of front door seam at a corner. I’ll post pics here:

https://imgur.com/a/wlYcEAA

I don’t want to kill them because I love ants since I was kid. Although my wife wants me to take care of them. She lets me handle it however I want. I watched many of AntsCanada awhile back and these two came up in my mind:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/oyanZWMo_-o[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/RzoD0AaUzgo[/youtube]

These videos gave me an idea!! An insane one. I don’t think anybody have tried it before. Is it possible for me to use a large identical moist wooden ant tower to convince them to move out?? I could easily set up a cinnamon path toward a tube connecting to the tower. A carved wood nest with some rich foods ontop could look appealing to them.

I’ve caught a sole ant bitting on bathroom floor several days ago, then a couple of ants doing the same thing under the dining table today.

https://imgur.com/a/ZT7Ke6y

Maybe they’re looking for a new place?? I have another probable evidence for that theory: At beginning they didn’t mind bring dead bodies back to their nest, but lately they seem don’t want any nearby. I’ve tested twice with one same corpose by placed it near nest. After 2nd time they moved it more farther away, as if they were emphasizing their point lol. Their nest probably getting moldy by now.

What do you guys think?? Would my dumb idea work?

SavANT

Re: Relocating a wild colony

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:52 pm

Love the idea :D . Hope it works. Keep us updated as the plan goes on. Maybe we can be a bit of a help
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)

OatstheAntMan

Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm

Yeah!! I mean, think about it, people capture and release some animals. Like rabbit, raccoon, and what not. Why not ants? :lol: Will definitely keep you posted!

Have you bought anything from the AntsCanada site? Just wondering if you know how long shipping would take?

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 01, 2022 9:17 am

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm
Yeah!! I mean, think about it, people capture and release some animals. Like rabbit, raccoon, and what not. Why not ants? :lol: Will definitely keep you posted!

Have you bought anything from the AntsCanada site? Just wondering if you know how long shipping would take?
If in USA, takes about a week. If you are looking for ant towers, they are on Amazon. I wouldn’t recommend the test tubes, all plastic tubes crack easily.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

OatstheAntMan

Sun May 01, 2022 10:45 am

Oh really? Good to know. What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 01, 2022 12:24 pm

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:45 am
Oh really? Good to know. What would you recommend?

Thanks!!
Glass test tubes, although they may break. You just have to be careful. AC test tubes are good for the test tube portals.

OatstheAntMan

Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm

Speaking of the test tube portal- Good news! Last night I’ve bought a bunch of stuff I think I’d need: two large ant towers and one test tube portal, plus several small equipments. I figured that test tube portal would be good medium instead of just a long tube straight into an ant tower. Since many AC videos showed that he can easily transferring a colony to another living space without leaving any opening, I’m a bit worry about my set up. Because they aren’t domestically raised, a tube would just leave an opening to outside. Thought the test tube portal would give me time to completely closed up the colony after the moving.

Ordered two ant towers because I have no idea how big the colony is haha 😅 Thought I should connect them both immediately to give them more comfortable room.

Thanks for a warning. I’ll snooping around where I live to see if I can find glass test tubes!

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 01, 2022 10:00 pm

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm
Speaking of the test tube portal- Good news! Last night I’ve bought a bunch of stuff I think I’d need: two large ant towers and one test tube portal, plus several small equipments. I figured that test tube portal would be good medium instead of just a long tube straight into an ant tower. Since many AC videos showed that he can easily transferring a colony to another living space without leaving any opening, I’m a bit worry about my set up. Because they aren’t domestically raised, a tube would just leave an opening to outside. Thought the test tube portal would give me time to completely closed up the colony after the moving.

Ordered two ant towers because I have no idea how big the colony is haha 😅 Thought I should connect them both immediately to give them more comfortable room.

Thanks for a warning. I’ll snooping around where I live to see if I can find glass test tubes!
Also, if they do end up moving, make sure you have a queen, sometimes they will make satellite nests

OatstheAntMan

Sun May 01, 2022 11:18 pm

Alright, I’ll keep on checking when it happens. I’ve caught a group of ants crowded on an edge of a counter wall in kitchen. I think they scouted that area for a potential new satellite home since that counter is wooden which got a bit softened after months of leaving dishes dry there. If I don’t see Queen in either towers, any idea?

I know they’re breeding in their OG nest because I saw a young queen came out for a flight in living room. Sooo cool to see! Me and wife were watching the King of Queens (no pun intended lol) and the young queen clearly flew between us and the tv from the direction of the nest. Unfortunately my wife distracted me so I’ve lost her 😔

SavANT

Mon May 02, 2022 2:25 am

Wow :shock: would have been a disaster if the ants made a new satellite nest. I mean, removing lot of them without knowing it was not the main nest. Well as of the queen, try placing a bait close to the entrance of all the nests and see which one gets crowded with ants( could be a sign of the main nest). And I bet you would have a hard time finding the queen cos mature colonies will do everything to hide her from view. Also, don't worry about the princess ant you lost, expect to see more :D
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)