Relocating a wild colony

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Relocating a wild colony

Mon May 02, 2022 6:46 am

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:18 pm
Alright, I’ll keep on checking when it happens. I’ve caught a group of ants crowded on an edge of a counter wall in kitchen. I think they scouted that area for a potential new satellite home since that counter is wooden which got a bit softened after months of leaving dishes dry there. If I don’t see Queen in either towers, any idea?

I know they’re breeding in their OG nest because I saw a young queen came out for a flight in living room. Sooo cool to see! Me and wife were watching the King of Queens (no pun intended lol) and the young queen clearly flew between us and the tv from the direction of the nest. Unfortunately my wife distracted me so I’ve lost her 😔
Workers may not be looking for nest, workers gather around nest entrance to pull liger ants back(Observation by entomologist that workers pull winged ants down from flying)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

OatstheAntMan

Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 pm

SavANT wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 2:25 am
Wow :shock: would have been a disaster if the ants made a new satellite nest. I mean, removing lot of them without knowing it was not the main nest. Well as of the queen, try placing a bait close to the entrance of all the nests and see which one gets crowded with ants( could be a sign of the main nest). And I bet you would have a hard time finding the queen cos mature colonies will do everything to hide her from view. Also, don't worry about the princess ant you lost, expect to see more :D
The original nest has more ants, plus I’ve seen two princesses and one male there so far. Haven’t seen any of those at other areas so it’s safe to say the queen herself is at the original nest! Guess what!! I’ve just captured one of princesses!

OatstheAntMan

Mon May 09, 2022 9:33 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
OatstheAntMan wrote:
Alright, I’ll keep on checking when it happens. I’ve caught a group of ants crowded on an edge of a counter wall in kitchen. I think they scouted that area for a potential new satellite home since that counter is wooden which got a bit softened after months of leaving dishes dry there. If I don’t see Queen in either towers, any idea?

I know they’re breeding in their OG nest because I saw a young queen came out for a flight in living room. Sooo cool to see! Me and wife were watching the King of Queens (no pun intended lol) and the young queen clearly flew between us and the tv from the direction of the nest. Unfortunately my wife distracted me so I’ve lost her 😔
Workers may not be looking for nest, workers gather around nest entrance to pull liger ants back(Observation by entomologist that workers pull winged ants down from flying)
TIL! Although I didn’t see any ant with wings or broken wings over there. My wife and I scattered them then placed garlic alongside the edge. Funny I’ve seen some ants coming out of the edge but can’t go back in due to garlic, what a perfect set up :lol:

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 09, 2022 9:58 pm

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:33 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
OatstheAntMan wrote:

TIL! Although I didn’t see any ant with wings or broken wings over there. My wife and I scattered them then placed garlic alongside the edge. Funny I’ve seen some ants coming out of the edge but can’t go back in due to garlic, what a perfect set up :lol:
Queens can be winged, but it is uncommon in mature colonies, as it is common in smaller stages but workers eventually break off the queens wings of the queens wings rot off(I have seen it happen in a wild colony)

OatstheAntMan

Wed May 11, 2022 2:37 am

UPDATE: Everything I need had arrived! All I need to do is carve two hollow wood cylinders. Have a problem… I’ve just discovered ants upstairs in the loft. They seem tunneled up into behind a drywall in closet from their original nest, then more tunnels lead to top of the loft stairs. I’ll post pics later.

Is it out of control? Beyond any hope of containing them? Lure the queen wouldn’t be enough because any of her workers are capable of breeding without her right?

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 11, 2022 6:53 am

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:37 am
UPDATE: Everything I need had arrived! All I need to do is carve two hollow wood cylinders. Have a problem… I’ve just discovered ants upstairs in the loft. They seem tunneled up into behind a drywall in closet from their original nest, then more tunnels lead to top of the loft stairs. I’ll post pics later.

Is it out of control? Beyond any hope of containing them? Lure the queen wouldn’t be enough because any of her workers are capable of breeding without her right?
No. If you had the queen, and they are monogynos, they can’t reproduce. Workers can still live for quite some time(A few years) but if you contain the queen, the colony will not get more eggs. If you catch the queen and lots of brood and workers, I would use diatomaceous chalk to kill straggler workers.

OatstheAntMan

Wed May 11, 2022 7:00 am

Alright, thanks for this!! I was pretty down last night. I really don’t want to call pest control. I mean, the queen lives for 30 years, it just seems unthinkable to kill her ya know?

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 11, 2022 7:11 am

OatstheAntMan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:00 am
Alright, thanks for this!! I was pretty down last night. I really don’t want to call pest control. I mean, the queen lives for 30 years, it just seems unthinkable to kill her ya know?
No queen has ever lived 30 years.(Laius Niger queen has lived 29.5 years once and it was a report)Camponotus queens live 12-15 max.

SavANT

Sat May 14, 2022 12:59 pm

Any update so far on the ants?
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)