Where are wing scars located on a queen?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tanks19

Where are wing scars located on a queen?

Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:36 pm

So last night I saw a large ant in the kitchen and captured it in a test tube. I was trying to see if it had wing scars but I didn't see any so I suspected it was just a worker from a large species of ant. So was wondering where they are. I made a quick test tube set up but when I tried moving her in she didn't budge, it took so long that I ended up releasing her because of how late it was.
Camponotus Modoc: 3 workers
Camponotus Hyatti: 3 workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Where are wing scars located on a queen?

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Tanks19 wrote:
So last night I saw a large ant in the kitchen and captured it in a test tube. I was trying to see if it had wing scars but I didn't see any so I suspected it was just a worker from a large species of ant. So was wondering where they are. I made a quick test tube set up but when I tried moving her in she didn't budge, it took so long that I ended up releasing her because of how late it was.
There is usually no “wing scars” clearly visible in my experience. Just look at the mid section(thorax) and if it is as wide as the abdomen it’s usually an indicator it is a queen. It isn’t good for all species, but works for some.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SavANT

Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:06 am

Some wing scars are easy to spot while others aren't. Some queens even look like the workers so just research on the queen ID of the workers in your area
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)

Tanks19

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tanks19 wrote:
There is usually no “wing scars” clearly visible in my experience. Just look at the mid section(thorax) and if it is as wide as the abdomen it’s usually an indicator it is a queen. It isn’t good for all species, but works for some.
The thorax seemed pretty thin so I guess it's just a large worker. Thanks for the help!
Camponotus Modoc: 3 workers
Camponotus Hyatti: 3 workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Tanks19 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tanks19 wrote:
Depends on species. Psedumyrmex has difficult to ID queens
The thorax seemed pretty thin so I guess it's just a large worker. Thanks for the help!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…