Endangered species

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Endangered species

Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:36 pm

I was looking through ant species in my area, and came across an ant endangered species list…. Only like 3 of 150 are actually crucially endangered, but I was surprised to see Formica rufa on almost vulnerable species list. I thought these were common in the South-west. Just curious, anybody keep species on this list?

https://antwiki.org/wiki/Category:IUCN_Red_List

Also, why are so many Temnothorax on this list?? Urban development?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Re: Endangered species

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:58 am

Many people keep Dorymyrmex insanus and I think i saw Polyergus samurai being sold at antstore (currently out of stock). F. rufa is protected all over Europe possibly due to climate change.

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:53 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Many people keep Dorymyrmex insanus and I think i saw Polyergus samurai being sold at antstore (currently out of stock). F. rufa is protected all over Europe possibly due to climate change.
Maybe the colonies are too far away from each other to find mating partners and create new colonies. Also could be that some species were recently added and since it's unknown how many there are they are by default endangered.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:07 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:53 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Maybe the colonies are too far away from each other to find mating partners and create new colonies. Also could be that some species were recently added and since it's unknown how many there are they are by default endangered.
I know they may add another from my area, as it is potentially threatened.(I think it is Mycetomoellerius jamaicensis)(Deyrup reported) Later in the 21st. Century, wouldn’t be surprised if Odontomachus relictus was added, as it only only occurs in two parts of Florida, and O. Relictus(Invasive but only difference occurs on a microscopic part and in males) fights them over territory.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…