Simple Questions about Ants

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

SlidingCool

Simple Questions about Ants

Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:41 pm

How long can I watch my ant colony before I return them into the darkness?

Also, I have a Roomba, and will my test tube colony be okay if the Roomba hits my drawer and might shake them or even roll the tube?
Currently Keeping:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus (Only Queen and Brood) :mrgreen:

SlidingCool

Re: Simple Questions about Ants

Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:16 pm

Never mind, I can use an AC test tube rack. My 1st question is still up for answering though.
Currently Keeping:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus (Only Queen and Brood) :mrgreen:

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:00 am

SlidingCool wrote:

Also, I have a Roomba, and will my test tube colony be okay if the Roomba hits my drawer and might shake them or even roll the tube?
Well for the first question, I recommend to only disturb them for a little bit during founding. Mainly because the queen might get stressed out and start eating her eggs and larvae.

For the Roomba, I doubt that a 2-4 kg Roomba will be able to push a shelf with drawers that weights 3-10 Kg at least. But a constant bump (one bump every few minutes or once per hour) might disburb the colony.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:29 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:00 am
SlidingCool wrote:

Well for the first question, I recommend to only disturb them for a little bit during founding. Mainly because the queen might get stressed out and start eating her eggs and larvae.

For the Roomba, I doubt that a 2-4 kg Roomba will be able to push a shelf with drawers that weights 3-10 Kg at least. But a constant bump (one bump every few minutes or once per hour) might disburb the colony.
If it does, you could move them to under a bed or something where the roomba doesn’t go
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

ANThonyluscious

Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:26 pm

Under a bed is prime roomba territory. I have a cat, I'm worried about him and the ants (when I eventually get some :) ). So my plan is to get my queens into test tubes in a holder in a closet on like that shelf they have at the top halves of closets. Gonna have em sit in there on a dark colored sheet and have another on top of them and only check once a week. That'll be the hardest part :lol: The tubes also won't roll if you scrunch up a sheet under them and place it against one wall and something heavy to keep the sheet and tube from wiggling. Could also use 2 command hooks creatively, or if you really want you could use short screws and screw them equidistant from each other in a way that you could fit your test tube easily between them and easily remove it but not roll it from the left and right respectively. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. Good luck with your ants! :D :D
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D