Brachymyrmex question!!!!!

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

martinnate

Brachymyrmex question!!!!!

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Does anyone have any information on Brachymyrmex Sp that you want to share please reply post here. Thanks in advance. I'm going to buy a microcamera for my phone tomorrow. I will post pics asap and mor inmfo here.

martinnate

Re: Brachymyrmex question!!!!!

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm

This is the best pic I could get. They r really small.

Batspiderfish

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:07 pm

What kind of information? be specific?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

martinnate

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Ok

martinnate

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Early March I saved a queen from my pot water garden. She was small about 1cm with a huge Abdomen (over 1\2 her body) she laid about 12 eggs and after about 6 workers the queen died IDK why, I could have stressed her out from looking to much. I gave honey after the 1st few workers. And then after she died I think the workers ate her. So I give them food to let them live there lives. That was a bout 4 months ago, but now they have doubled in number and I can see little eggs or larva. Can they select a new queen? I watched an AntsCanada video that talked about an ant that can do that. I forget what thats called, but can Brachymyrmex do that?

Batspiderfish

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:13 am

1cm is 2-3 times larger than a Brachymyrmex queen.

What do you mean by "doubled in number"? I see six workers in the picture. If you are just referring to brood, they are probably eggs laid by the workers, which will most likely turn into useless males.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

martinnate

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:08 am

That is a bad pic but the best I could do. They went from 6 to like 20. From what I can see none of them have wings. I will just let them live their lives in the test tube. If they continue to reproduce then cool if not the they will die. Thanks for ur help. Oh and I may have the mesurment wrong ____ the line is about how big she was.