Wild ants acting odly.

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dawson

Wild ants acting odly.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Hello, I am a novice ant keeper with a colony of camponotus penslyvanicus, and it is the day after christmas and still havn't hibernated. Noticed something even more odd today though. On the stairs of my church there was a massive swarm of solenopsis ants, among there ranks where several winged queen elates. Its been very warm lately as i live in alabamma but ive still never witnessed this behaviour in ants before. Does anyone know if its probably due to the weather or something else?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Wild ants acting odly.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:17 pm

Dawson wrote:
Hello, I am a novice ant keeper with a colony of camponotus penslyvanicus, and it is the day after christmas and still havn't hibernated. Noticed something even more odd today though. On the stairs of my church there was a massive swarm of solenopsis ants, among there ranks where several winged queen elates. Its been very warm lately as i live in alabamma but ive still never witnessed this behaviour in ants before. Does anyone know if its probably due to the weather or something else?
I asked on Solenopsis, they fly year round. It is somewhere in forum under my posts. As for Camponotus, I sometimes see alates and have observed what I have called “late flights” where ant species locally fly as it gets cold. This is not a scientific term, just something I observed
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:31 am

Dawson wrote:
Since those Solenopsis might be invasive they don't hibernate and therefor as soon as it gets warm they be like *Lets travel and conquer the world by reproduction.

For your campo. colony I don't really know. Sometimes ant colonies make up their own new rules which is just part of evolution. Something changes? you have to adapt. You adapt? if yes, you may survive or die trying. If no, you may just die because you didn't adapt.
At least that is how I see and understand things.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:10 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:31 am
Dawson wrote:
Since those Solenopsis might be invasive they don't hibernate and therefor as soon as it gets warm they be like *Lets travel and conquer the world by reproduction.

For your campo. colony I don't really know. Sometimes ant colonies make up their own new rules which is just part of evolution. Something changes? you have to adapt. You adapt? if yes, you may survive or die trying. If no, you may just die because you didn't adapt.
At least that is how I see and understand things.
I use to find some black queen (but never captured) that was 6.5mm in late November up to early December. But none this year, and to be honest, I didn’t look.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

terrellgriffin

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:08 am

If you find your ant behaving awkwardly, I have searched the best material or read for you. Hence, make sure that you consider your ant in the best possible nature. And even if the act wavily, you can understand the true nature of their behavior.
The most distinguishing trait of ant behavior is sociability. Ants do not act individually. Instead, they behave according to the needs of the colony in roles dictated by the caste—or job class, such as worker or soldier—into which they are born. The major social unit is the colony, which forms a nest. The nests of ants vary in structure and in material. Most of an ant’s life is spent in its nest. The number of ants living in one nest ranges from a few to more than a million. Some ants dig chambers and passages in the ground. Others locate their nests under rocks, in trees, or in logs. The nests may be built of paper, twigs, sand, gravel, or other materials.
One colony can claim as its territory thousands of square yards (more than a thousand square meters). Some species pile large heaps of earth on top of their nests. These mounds can be more than 1 yard (0.9 meter) high and up to 4 yards (3.7 meters) in diameter. The nest is kept spotless. The ants remove all rubbish promptly. If an ant dies, a worker carries it from the nest to a spot that serves as both a cemetery and a garbage dump. If the queen dies, however, the workers continue to care for her as long as her body remains recognizable.
The social structure of the colony has led to several unusual living arrangements. Ants can be very hospitable. Some species live as guests with other ants or insects, and some ants host other insects as guests. A few species live with parasites—insects or other small animals, such as mites, spiders, caterpillars, and beetles that are fed and sheltered by the colony but that provide nothing in return.