It's raining in (northern)Nevada,out of month queens?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Zombiie

It's raining in (northern)Nevada,out of month queens?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Its raining in the Sunvalley and Stead area (I don't know where else).
Is there any chances for out of month queens,Its getting quite chilly.Has anyone from the Nevada area seen any unsual ant activity?

(I did see the local Harvester ants pull and push queen aliates back and forth,in and out of the entrance.I've also seen some "red" ants attack some pavement ants in a war)
✧✦✧✦Nevada Ant Keeper✧✦✧✦
✦Currently owned✦

Barfdog

Re: It's raining in (northern)Nevada,out of month queens?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Zombiie wrote:Its raining in the Sunvalley and Stead area (I don't know where else).
Is there any chances for out of month queens,Its getting quite chilly.Has anyone from the Nevada area seen any unsual ant activity?

(I did see the local Harvester ants pull and push queen aliates back and forth,in and out of the entrance.I've also seen some "red" ants attack some pavement ants in a war)

Hey there, I'm in Arizona and we had some rain today. It was around 80F when I went to the park. Saw some Tetramorium very busy and successful colony's and I also saw some random formica workers I think, but that was about it.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

AceCadet

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 am

Its way too chilly tonight, as it warms up over the next few days you will have a better chance. As it will still be pretty humid. I mean Id for sure still try tomorrow, check Rancho San Rafeal if you can. I saw queens there a few weeks back. So you still may have a chance. Wishing you tons of luck!

Antcrisp

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:53 am

I live in Las vegas,no ant activity here. Its starting to get more chilly now,its 74 and with wonds im starting to lose hope now,everyday im going out to diffrent parts of city and desert and nothing. Have no other choice but to wait untill next year :cry:. Im willing to pay for a queen if i ever come across someone selling one lol.

Zombiie

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:42 pm

I had such high hopes yesterday after it looked like it showered but it turned into a wind storm with snow where I was.there was even a pipes freezing warning out.
✧✦✧✦Nevada Ant Keeper✧✦✧✦
✦Currently owned✦

Antcrisp

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Zombiie wrote:I had such high hopes yesterday after it looked like it showered but it turned into a wind storm with snow where I was.there was even a pipes freezing warning out.
Yea we are getting to fall now when the temp is going to start dropping. I was hoping to find a queen before winter,but i find it impossible since we're not getting any rain anytime soon and temp are dropping to low 80's now.

AceCadet

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Our weather says itll be getting warmer as the week goes on. I mean we havent even turned the heat on and my Formica and Camponotus queens arent even hibernating. It is starting to get into our colder season though. Id check Rancho or one of the other parks around town near the weekend. The wind is low and its warmer. Yet the humidity is still pretty high. Im doing my best to look out for queens even though I have enough just for my fellow Nevadians. Wishing you so much luck! It may just be next spring when youll find more queens, which gives you time to plan outworlds, formicarium, etc. Patience is key in antkeeping. I will be listing one or two of the queens I found once they have workers, but they may not even have brood until after hibernation because how late in the season it is.

Antcrisp

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 am

AceCadet wrote:Our weather says itll be getting warmer as the week goes on. I mean we havent even turned the heat on and my Formica and Camponotus queens arent even hibernating. It is starting to get into our colder season though. Id check Rancho or one of the other parks around town near the weekend. The wind is low and its warmer. Yet the humidity is still pretty high. Im doing my best to look out for queens even though I have enough just for my fellow Nevadians. Wishing you so much luck! It may just be next spring when youll find more queens, which gives you time to plan outworlds, formicarium, etc. Patience is key in antkeeping. I will be listing one or two of the queens I found once they have workers, but they may not even have brood until after hibernation because how late in the season it is.
I live in las vegas rancho its a lil too far from me,but if i can find one for sure i woudnt mind the 7hour drive over there. But sgain its a 50/50. I don't know,i heard some ants don't even hibernated not sure if its true. Since the coldest it gets here its around 30degrees,but thats around January.

Yea,im sure im gonna have to wait next spring :,(.

AceCadet

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:59 am

Yeah I was meaning check Rancho for Zombiie. And waiting until spring isnt the worst thing. Its tough but, at this point many ant keepers are starting the process of hibernation. So you aren't missing out on much. And when ypu find your queen next year you will have lots more time with her before she has to sleep for 3 months. Just food for though.

Antcrisp

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:01 am

AceCadet wrote:Yeah I was meaning check Rancho for Zombiie. And waiting until spring isnt the worst thing. Its tough but, at this point many ant keepers are starting the process of hibernation. So you aren't missing out on much. And when ypu find your queen next year you will have lots more time with her before she has to sleep for 3 months. Just food for though.
Yea,you're right. No point of catching one right now if shes going to be sleeping for 3 months. Its going to be a long winter,but again i like winter The wait starts then.