Myrmecia Queen in September?!?!?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

antsRlife

Myrmecia Queen in September?!?!?

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:33 pm

So I live in the colder parts of Australia and we just came out of winter not even 4 days ago and went out walking enjoying the start of the sunshine and found a much larger than usual Myrmecia pilosula ant poking its head in the dirt, moving things around and staying in the general area. I followed it around for 30 minutes and it wasn't in hunting mode so I decided to pick it up and take a closer look. the more I watched the more it was behaving as most queens do scratching its gaster, digging around. etc. For some background knowledge, Myrmecia pilosula is semi claustral and the alates don't have wings, to begin with so identifying them can be quite tricky. But here's the thing They aren't meant to mate till February. I have a feeling its one of two things why its out and about (1) It got kicked out of its nest and the workers took over because she was inefficient with laying eggs and now one of the workers are laying or shes late infertile queen form last year still wandering around. Does anyone know any other possibilities about why she was out???
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

antsRlife

Re: Myrmecia Queen in September?!?!?

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:57 am

I just checked on the queen before shes laid 2 eggs from what I quickly saw
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)