A few questions about raising a colony in Michigan

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

MichiganAnts

A few questions about raising a colony in Michigan

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Ok so im in the process of buying a Black Carpenter queen and i have a few questions.

1. is a room with a tempature between 72-80 ok? my room is small and even though its AC'ed it has my tv,pc, and studio lights for streaming, so it stays warm

2. if not would a queen be stressed out from noise? if my room in general isnt quite the best temperature i could put the test tube in my entertainment cent near my Xbox (it would kick off more heat, but not too much to cook her)

3. are queens still flying now? i know its late in the season and they normally are ending now. i went outside today hunting and i thought i found one, however it was pretty small and i think it was a male drone (it had its wings)

thanks for the help everyone and i look forward to a massive colony in a couple years!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: A few questions about raising a colony in Michigan

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:37 am

Well they might get too much vibration and light from your light system for streaming. The temperature I guess is Fahrenheit which means a room temperature of 22-26°C if I translate 72-80°F over. The colony should be fine in a drawer in that room as long as it's not connected to your gaming desk. The quieter and darker it is the better it is for ants.

I do wonder if ants would love a nest in Vanta black. Might be too dark for them.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.