Species for Vivarium (Texas SP.)

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

DakstoneF

Species for Vivarium (Texas SP.)

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm currently in the process of building my 9th Vivarium (very large tank - almost two meters in length), I've reached a crossroads with what to set it for though. I have two species I could put in there. But each require very different flora setups. My two choices are:

-Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
-Atta Texana
Bonus - I also have Acrobat Ants and Odontomachus Clarus - however I've ALWAYS had issues with Odontomachus in vivariums.

Has anyone ever kept, specifically, Atta Texana (or any major leaf cutting species) in a Vivarium? I used to house them in a large climate controlled tank with their out world being a Vivarium, however they eventually just moved into their out world. I sold that set up to a friend and now have another colony slowly growing.

Any opinions on this would be a huge help. I keep most of my ants in Vivarium set ups. Mainly curious about these species in particular with Vivariums!

As a note, I'm not immediately moving a small/med sized colony in here. I'm just getting the vivarium/ecosystem stable for months or even up to a year before I add the said species. But I do ultimately want one of the two species in here.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Species for Vivarium (Texas SP.)

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:03 pm

DakstoneF wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm
I'm currently in the process of building my 9th Vivarium (very large tank - almost two meters in length), I've reached a crossroads with what to set it for though. I have two species I could put in there. But each require very different flora setups. My two choices are:

-Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
-Atta Texana
Bonus - I also have Acrobat Ants and Odontomachus Clarus - however I've ALWAYS had issues with Odontomachus in vivariums.

Has anyone ever kept, specifically, Atta Texana (or any major leaf cutting species) in a Vivarium? I used to house them in a large climate controlled tank with their out world being a Vivarium, however they eventually just moved into their out world. I sold that set up to a friend and now have another colony slowly growing.

Any opinions on this would be a huge help. I keep most of my ants in Vivarium set ups. Mainly curious about these species in particular with Vivariums!

As a note, I'm not immediately moving a small/med sized colony in here. I'm just getting the vivarium/ecosystem stable for months or even up to a year before I add the said species. But I do ultimately want one of the two species in here.
I am not sure, but usually ant colonies in active environments have struggles with things like finding food. Odontomachus would do well in an outworld that had rotting wood(Where I live that’s where I find them) and stones so there is a dry place for brood.

Also, wouldn’t Atta texana just kill all the plants, bringing the downfall of the entire ecosystem? In the wild they forage far, if I am not mistaken.(Which allows plants to come back)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…