Ant Senses

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Glowbug1236

Ant Senses

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Can anyone expand on ant senses? Eg. Smell and sight.
I know that sight will vary depending on species, but what about smell?
Can they smell things in the wind, or are they more so only able to smell when they touch with their antenna?
Seems that they get close, touch it with antennas, bring the antenna in to clean them off, or smell?
My ants seem to do this, think about the object of inspection, and either move on, or head back for reinforcements.
The amount if excitement depends it seems not just on the food, but the demand for the food, though i could be wrong.

If you can point out an info source, or explain, that would be great.
Thank you for the info!

antperson24

Re: Ant Senses

Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 am

Glowbug1236 wrote:
Can they smell things in the wind, or are they more so only able to smell when they touch with their antenna?
Seems that they get close, touch it with antennas, bring the antenna in to clean them off, or smell?
My ants seem to do this, think about the object of inspection, and either move on, or head back for reinforcements.
The amount if excitement depends it seems not just on the food, but the demand for the food, though i could be wrong.

Thank you for the info!
Sometimes they stick their antennae in the to help them smell smells on the wind.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SYUTEO

Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:47 pm

Glowbug1236 wrote:

Thank you for the info!
From my own observations it seems that the amount of excitement depends on the amount of food and what sort of food is in demand the most. I observed these on my Crematogaster colony before they mysteriously disappeared :( . I loved that colony.

On the topic of senses, my late Camponotus parius colony seems to be able to hear my voice as they react to it when it's very loud. I asked about it somewhere else and turns out they just reacted to the vibrations caused by loud noises. Not sure if you count that as hearing or not.

antperson24

Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:14 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Glowbug1236 wrote:

Thank you for the info!
From my own observations it seems that the amount of excitement depends on the amount of food and what sort of food is in demand the most. I observed these on my Crematogaster colony before they mysteriously disappeared :( . I loved that colony.

On the topic of senses, my late Camponotus parius colony seems to be able to hear my voice as they react to it when it's very loud. I asked about it somewhere else and turns out they just reacted to the vibrations caused by loud noises. Not sure if you count that as hearing or not.
Ants can't hear, just feel vibrations. So I think that is kind of their version of hearing.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN