The Ant Namers Group!

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

CabboAntsGuy

The Ant Namers Group!

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:48 am

Hello everyone! I wanted to make this page for all of you who love naming your queens and colonies. It really just makes it so much nicer to be able to say their name rather than a camponotus queen. :D By the way, quick shout out to all you camponotus keepers, The Camponotus crew page is on fire and we'd love to have you join us.(link in signature) Ok, back to naming! I currently have three Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens and two formica sp. queens none of which have workers yet but one is close to nanitics! The CP's are called "Estrella", "Stella", and "Reina". The first two are "star" in two different languages, and the last is "queen" in Spanish. And I haven't come up with names for the formica yet. Can't wait to see more of you here hanging out with fellow namers.

-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus Q (one with 7-10 workers)
2 formica subsericea Q
2 monomorium pharaonis Q

Come be a part of our Camponotus Crewhttps://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267

LasiusSapien

Re: The Ant Namers Group!

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:02 am

my lasius niger queen is called cinders as in burnt to a cinder, my messor barbarus queen is called Sophie the 2nd after my solenopsis fugax queen who sadly died and the camponotus turkestanus queen is called aurum which is Latin for gold
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55 am

LasiusSapien wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:02 am
my lasius niger queen is called cinders as in burnt to a cinder, my messor barbarus queen is called Sophie the 2nd after my solenopsis fugax queen who sadly died and the camponotus turkestanus queen is called aurum which is Latin for gold
Haha I would have thought Cinders to be a good name for a fire ant. Love the connection to gold in the name Aurum, I would have gone for something like Aurelie or Aurelia myself. Can't wait to get a colony going again, but this short before the hibernation period it just wouldn't make sense.

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:48 am
Hello everyone! I wanted to make this page for all of you who love naming your queens and colonies. It really just makes it so much nicer to be able to say their name rather than a camponotus queen. :D By the way, quick shout out to all you camponotus keepers, The Camponotus crew page is on fire and we'd love to have you join us.(link in signature) Ok, back to naming! I currently have three Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens and two formica sp. queens none of which have workers yet but one is close to nanitics! The CP's are called "Estrella", "Stella", and "Reina". The first two are "star" in two different languages, and the last is "queen" in Spanish. And I haven't come up with names for the formica yet. Can't wait to see more of you here hanging out with fellow namers.

-Cabbo
Hey Cabbo,

Have you narrowed down the species of your formica queens yet?

CabboAntsGuy

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 pm

I think after seeing a picture, they are most likely formica subsericea. The light bands on their gaster's gave it away. And their legs don't have red like fusca. And I came up with names for them. "Plata" which is "silver" in Spanish, and "Atado" which is "laced" in Spanish.
Keep:
2 formica subsericea Q
2 monomorium pharaonis Q

Come be a part of our Camponotus Crewhttps://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
I think after seeing a picture, they are most likely formica subsericea. The light bands on their gaster's gave it away. And their legs don't have red like fusca. And I came up with names for them. "Plata" which is "silver" in Spanish, and "Atado" which is "laced" in Spanish.
Nice names!

LasiusSapien

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:12 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
that description also sounds like Formica Cinerea

CabboAntsGuy

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Ok looked at pictures of those, they look more like subsericea to me.
Keep:
2 formica subsericea Q
2 monomorium pharaonis Q

CANant

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Great names guys!
I have some ideas for mine but still researching and searching for “the one”.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x 1

Follow my journal:
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=15741

Join our Camponotus Crew:
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267

🐜❤️

LasiusSapien

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55 am
Love the connection to gold in the name Aurum, I would have gone for something like Aurelie or Aurelia myself.
I've made a change to her name it's now regina auri which sound's more feminine it's Latin for "queen of gold"