Tetramorium (pavement ants) mistakes

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Tetramorium (pavement ants) mistakes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 pm

I've been an Ant enthusiast for roughly 20 years now... recently I got back into it and created an ant farm from scratch much like i have in the past. We are doing quite a bit of home renovations so i had a ton of extra materials laying around and i went to worl creating a solid, seemingly unescapable structure.

I have a large colony of tetramorium in a corner of my foundation so while I waited for my 5 tetramorium queens and 6 lasius flavus queens to get up and running i decided to capture some of the mentioned tetramorium workers... All went well I quickly had 300-500 workers easily and deposited them in the ant farm. Went to bed and woke up to find 50 or so running around outside of it... Applied caulk to edges, outworld fittings, etc. It stopped the flow but the next morning again it happened. Turns out tetramorium can tunnel through caulk and flooring... Breaking down and buying a few AC towers for the new queens but for those DIY enthusiasts I discourage you from using these materials when dealing with tetramorium.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Antloverhuman

Re: Tetramorium (pavement ants) mistakes

Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am

Thats very helpful info. I guess an ant with name "pavement ants" would know how to chew through alot of stuff
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony