A question for the community

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: A question for the community

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:07 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:I would like to ask all you forum members, what are your favorite species to keep and observe? I'm sure plenty of you guys in the southern states will say solenopsis invicta but ill would still like to hear why :) . I'm wondering what some of you more north will say. Or even other countries :D
In Canada my favourite ants to keep are Tetramorium sp. E, Camponotus novaeboracensis, and Lasius neoniger in 3rd place. I miss my colonies and seeing those species of ants!

Here in the Philippines, my favourite ants to keep are Paratrechina longicornis and I have a love/hate relationship with Solenopsis geminata. Lol! Asian weaver ants are also great ants but they are not good ants to keep in captivity long-term in my opinion.
Ant Love Forever.

nightxwolf88

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:35 pm

AntsCanada wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:I would like to ask all you forum members, what are your favorite species to keep and observe? I'm sure plenty of you guys in the southern states will say solenopsis invicta but ill would still like to hear why :) . I'm wondering what some of you more north will say. Or even other countries :D
In Canada my favourite ants to keep are Tetramorium sp. E, Camponotus novaeboracensis, and Lasius neoniger in 3rd place. I miss my colonies and seeing those species of ants!

Here in the Philippines, my favourite ants to keep are Paratrechina longicornis and I have a love/hate relationship with Solenopsis geminata. Lol! Asian weaver ants are also great ants but they are not good ants to keep in captivity long-term in my opinion.
Yes was very impressive seeing your set up with those weaver ants, very cool, but I can imagine the complications with keeping them for the long haul. My camponotus noveboracensis queen that now has its nanitics was my first ever queen so definitely my favorite now :) Really looking foward to my tetramorium sp e queens to have their first workers and start to grow as colonies. Thank you for sharing with us and introducing us to this amazing world of ants :)

nightxwolf88

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:41 pm

Durant wrote:My 1rst was Aphanogaster spp :mrgreen:
The one I saw on Skype?

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:55 am

nightxwolf88 wrote:
AntsCanada wrote:

Yes was very impressive seeing your set up with those weaver ants, very cool, but I can imagine the complications with keeping them for the long haul. My camponotus noveboracensis queen that now has its nanitics was my first ever queen so definitely my favorite now :) Really looking foward to my tetramorium sp e queens to have their first workers and start to grow as colonies. Thank you for sharing with us and introducing us to this amazing world of ants :)
Awesome! You're welcome and best of luck on your new colonies! We will have a Tetramorium video releasing in several weeks on our Youtube channel. If you have video footage you wouldn't mind sharing with the community I'd love to include it in our video.
Ant Love Forever.

nightxwolf88

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:59 am

Awesome! You're welcome and best of luck on your new colonies! We will have a Tetramorium video releasing in several weeks on our Youtube channel. If you have video footage you wouldn't mind sharing with the community I'd love to include it in our video.
That would be awesome, and I will :idea: have MCWren share video he had shared with us on skype a video of him feeding a wild tetramorium colony that was pretty neat.