Much ado about the founding of Lasius temporary social parasites

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Much ado about the founding of Lasius temporary social parasites

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 am

I wrote this guide to help out people who are inexperienced with raising social parasties, but sadly this forum restricts editing and limits the length of posts, so I've had to put it only on Formiculture:

http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/

I've been working on this for the past week, and while I don't consider it finished yet, I've been really impatient to get it out there. Much of my knowledge of social parasites is anecdotal, but I have still guided quite a few people through the founding stages of these ants. I wanted something I could just point to whenever somebody finds a parasitic Lasius queen. A lot of this writing has been recycled from earlier work, with some of the minor anthropamorphizations removed.

It will always be a work in progress, so let me know if you notice any errors or if you feel you can help enhance what we know about founding strategies for social parasites. While some of this information is currently lacking necessary citation, a lot of it has been picked up over the years from the personal accounts of many individuals. I will hopefully make this less of a glaring issue in due time. Thank you for bearing with me, and thank you for sharing all your experiences with these ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Re: Much ado about the founding of Lasius temporary social parasites

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:10 am

Durant wrote:Awesome!!! U r a really awesome ant keeper with tons of knowledge thx for sharing with us!!! :P
Thanks! :D

I've been learning about social parasites since my first colony ever, five or so years ago, Lasius umbratus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRule

Re: Much ado about the founding of Lasius temporary social parasites

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 pm

This will help a lot! Thanks! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.