Ants not classified properly?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

harvesterant

Ants not classified properly?

Sat May 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Ants have an unusual classification where one genus can contain hundreds of species and there are 300 genera in the family Formicidae. When this is compared to mammals, they will have less than 10 species in a genus and less than 10 genera in a family, or there would be subfamilies to minimise the number of genera in one group.

Does this mean that ants are not properly classified and would be a good idea to change the current classification by adding subfamilies?

Antloverhuman

Re: Ants not classified properly?

Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:08 am

I think there are sub families but insects are more different and complicated than mammals to there are more types of ants. Like one ant may have 12 antenna segment and other may have 16, they would be different
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SYUTEO

Re: Ants not classified properly?

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 pm

A long time ago there used to be many more genera until they decided to group them all together to form one big genus, we now know the old genera as subgenera.

The oppsite has happenend before too, the genus Pachycondyla used contain hundreds of species until one day it was split into more genera using the old names (Brachyponera, Ectomomyrmex, Pseudoneoponera, etc). More recently it happened with Gnamptogenys as well, for example: Gnamptogenys bicolor is now Stictoponera bicolor.