Need info and help

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

MEVplayz

Need info and help

Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi! recently I've captured a Black ant queen and put her in a test tube. 2-3 days later she started ripping out the cotton and after researching on the net, Was told that it was maybe due to stress so I've put in a darker environment with no interaction for her to calm down. Checking on her 3 days later to find her dead. I didnt clean out the test tube and left on my desk to do it later but now (2 days after the discovery of her death) it seems like her back exploded and about15-25 werid thin white looking maggot seemed to have come out from those. What's happening? are those ants? Should I purge the tube? Please help.

AntsDakota

Re: Need info and help

Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 pm

MEVplayz wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 pm
Hi! recently I've captured a Black ant queen and put her in a test tube. 2-3 days later she started ripping out the cotton and after researching on the net, Was told that it was maybe due to stress so I've put in a darker environment with no interaction for her to calm down. Checking on her 3 days later to find her dead. I didnt clean out the test tube and left on my desk to do it later but now (2 days after the discovery of her death) it seems like her back exploded and about15-25 werid thin white looking maggot seemed to have come out from those. What's happening? are those ants? Should I purge the tube? Please help.

These worms are parasites. You should throw away the test tube.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Re: Need info and help

Fri May 24, 2019 9:20 am

I would keep them and see what they turn into.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA