How many colones?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

How many colones?

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

I just wanted to ask everyone what there thoughts on how many colones are possible to keep at once? Right now I really want to keep 5 of my queens. Three are Camponotus so they will grow slowly. The other two are a 5+ queen b. dipilis and a tetramorium sp. E. Is that too many? I am not super busy so I will be able to devote some time. How many colones are you planning to keep. Thanks!!! :D Ooh and I really want a pheidol so if I get one that will be added.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: How many colones?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 pm

I keep anywhere from 5 to 10 at a time of my own colonies, outside of my GAN project queens, which can vary between 10 to 100. Right now, I have close to 100 Monomorium queens in test tube setups. I plan on getting around 50 Pogonomyrmex queens in the next few weeks as well.

For me though, it is about having enough space. As colonies grow larger, you need more and more space for them. Make sure you have enough space to expand their nesting area and outworld area as they grow.

Hibernation is also an issue to consider. One of my colonies has a setup that is really too large to move around much, so come hibernation time, I really can't put it in a refrigerator. I just have to keep it in its current location and remove heat pads and heat cables.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:48 pm

ooper01 wrote:I keep anywhere from 5 to 10 at a time of my own colonies, outside of my GAN project queens, which can vary between 10 to 100. Right now, I have close to 100 Monomorium queens in test tube setups. I plan on getting around 50 Pogonomyrmex queens in the next few weeks as well.

For me though, it is about having enough space. As colonies grow larger, you need more and more space for them. Make sure you have enough space to expand their nesting area and outworld area as they grow.

Hibernation is also an issue to consider. One of my colonies has a setup that is really too large to move around much, so come hibernation time, I really can't put it in a refrigerator. I just have to keep it in its current location and remove heat pads and heat cables.
Umm well our house stays around 60-65 in the winter, is that a good hibernation temp? I am not using heat cables. Thanks!!!!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:52 pm

AntsRule wrote:Umm well our house stays around 60-65 in the winter, is that a good hibernation temp? I am not using heat cables. Thanks!!!!
I have heard that 45-55 is ideal, but I'm sure 60-65 will work.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Yeah I want to make my set up complicated--- I want tubes going everywhere! bwa-ha-ha :lol: Thanks!!!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.