Difficulties with Ectatomma sp

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

VitorMDA

Difficulties with Ectatomma sp

Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am

Hello guys! I live in Brazil and a few months ago I got an Ectatomma sp and quickly she laid her first eggs and soon the first larva was born. But I noticed that she hardly ever laid eggs and that the first larva took almost 2 months to become pupa. And, to my dismay, just over a week after it had become pupa, I noticed that the pupa was open and that there were no ant nearby, perhaps the queen opened the pupa and devoured the ant (???). She is very picky about food and this situation made me worried, I do not know if she is stressed because I only use it 3 times a week (to feed her). Maybe she's not happy with the home? If possible, I would like your help! Thanks in advance ;)

(sorry for my bad english xD)

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Difficulties with Ectatomma sp

Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:17 pm

VitorMDA wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am
Hello guys! I live in Brazil and a few months ago I got an Ectatomma sp and quickly she laid her first eggs and soon the first larva was born. But I noticed that she hardly ever laid eggs and that the first larva took almost 2 months to become pupa. And, to my dismay, just over a week after it had become pupa, I noticed that the pupa was open and that there were no ant nearby, perhaps the queen opened the pupa and devoured the ant (???). She is very picky about food and this situation made me worried, I do not know if she is stressed because I only use it 3 times a week (to feed her). Maybe she's not happy with the home? If possible, I would like your help! Thanks in advance ;)

(sorry for my bad english xD)
Give her an outworld without a lid(With a barrier of course) and don’t check on her but once every two weeks.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…