Weird Brown stuff

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

One4TheWIN

Weird Brown stuff

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:40 pm

So i've found a camponotus ??? and her brood have formed into pupae, but recently she has also formed this brown stuff and started what seems to be "rolling her brood around like a dung beetle would do with its....Dung". i was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation or explain to me what this is, i would post a picture but the file size is to large from my cell phone to zoom in clearly.

Batspiderfish

Re: Weird Brown stuff

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 am

I don't know how brown we're talking here, but Camponotus eggs and larvae are a yellow/light brown, and they are often used to bury large larvae and provide anchors for them to spin cocoons.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

larynx

Re: Weird Brown stuff

Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:50 am

One4TheWIN wrote:So i've found a camponotus ??? and her brood have formed into pupae, but recently she has also formed this brown stuff and started what seems to be "rolling her brood around like a dung beetle would do with its....Dung". i was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation or explain to me what this is, i would post a picture but the file size is to large from my cell phone to zoom in clearly.
a picture would help, to better help you out with this.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer