Queen Ant in the winter?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Queen Ant in the winter?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello, today when watching some TV an insect with wings landed on the TV, I realised that it was a Queen Ant, don't know the species but it was. I ran to take my test tube, I was not prepared since it's winter here(I live in Brazil) , when I came back she was gone.
I would like to know if you guys know if that's normal, to see a queen ant in the winter. Maybe because here is a tropical place and it's always hot, don't know for sure. Other little thing, I haven't seen a Queen in a long time and very probabily she was lost for some reason and that would probably result on she not being fertile.

AnthonyP163

Re: Queen Ant in the winter?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:59 am

I'm not an expert at this, but it may have been a carpenter ant queen. Especially if it is kind of black, or black and red. Probably meaning there is a carpenter ant colony in the wood of your house. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen Ant in the winter?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 am

Ants will fly when it is warm, so in consistently warm or tropical environments, they might fly in summer and winter. Usually, flights are timed more around rainfall.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.