Multiple Myrmica sp Queen Help

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ankrauser

Multiple Myrmica sp Queen Help

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:06 pm

So I have a dilemma. I had 2 Myrmica sp. queens together in a test tube connected to an outworld setup. After one of them began laying eggs, they’ve both been fighting with each other, like full blown wrestling and dragging each other around kind of fighting. After I saw this, I ended up separating the two.

Should I keep put them together again and hope for the best and leave it to whatever happens, or should I merge them later with workers? I’m not really sure. If possible I’d like them to cooperate. Thanks.

Ankrauser

Re: Multiple Myrmica sp Queen Help

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 pm

To elaborate further on this: Q1 used to be the dominant female or so it appeared and would snip at Q2 here and but nothing really came out of it. But ever since Q2 laid a batch of eggs first, aggression levels between Q1 and Q2 skyrocketed within the last 36 hrs which made Q1 hide in their outworld. Earlier this morning I saw both Q1 and Q2 look like they were trying to kill each other before I broke it up with a BBQ skewer. Now I'm not sure if I should keep them separated, attempt to put them together again, or try introducing them to each other after workers get close to arriving.

antnest8

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:33 am

They could be different species since it is almost impossible to tell their differences.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

PwnerPie

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:45 pm

I have not successfully put myrmica together in WA. Even when I catch them feet from each other, they always end up killing each other, but they do just fine alone. I dont trust em!
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

Hunter36o

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am

It's a tricky one that is a hit and miss. You can gather 7 queens from the same area and 3 or 4 might survive. Not sure why they do this but it is like they have some sort of standard the other queens did not seem to meet. That and Myrmica species are almost impossible to tell apart by looking at the queens alone. The only real accurate way to tell is to put the workers under a microscope. This should also be taken I to account as the different species could accidentally land beside one and other in the wild and that will just cause more issues.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.